My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi sad times again , Club died this morning at 11.00 am . She I think had a stroke / heart attack as her right side seemed to be failing . Will miss her . A dark shadow on today .
Will miss her .
Bob

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Bob so sorry to hear about Club {hug}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Thank you , she was a lovely old girl .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , simone is on her last few days of med`s.
Pom Pom has muck coming out of her left eye . Right eye shutting . Cleaning it up many times during the day . Baytril and Metacam does . In dog cage with Evil . Out in garden for a stretch but as eyes iffy not for long . Simone out with her friends. Released into the garden with Jack and his 5 hens .
Desmond keeping well out of the way of the two Terrors.
2 girls one is the hen that was on the front seat on the way home from last 12 rescue BHWT . Call her a unicorn as one part of comb sticks forward . Go straight out of the cockerel a dood1e hall into the big run and then look back into their own run all day . Eating the food in the big run . I have to catch and put back into the Terrors run as stupidly just run up and down the wire between .
sad this morning the next door neighbor was crying on the drive and asked me to come in as his dog had died at 12.30 am last night . So sad a boxer 10 years old . I believe died of an heart attack . quick in its sleep on the sofa. Whole family crying .
Buried it at Chingford pet cemetery . I think they are buddist from Ceylon (old name )
They put money on his blankets as passage to heaven ?
It was like doing a home visit to a worker that had passed away at work . Very emotional time .
Needless to say my boys where crowing as the noise from the house had woke them up and saying sorry .
sad times.
Bob.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

So sorry to hear about Club, Bob. Always a sad time and never gets any easier. You're doing a great job though and giving them all wonderful free lives. Club would have been very well looked after and loved.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

So sorry to hear about Club, Bob. At least she went quite quickly and didn't linger long. Tough maybe for us, but better for them {hug}
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all good , Pom Pom is getting better as the baytril / metacam does its work . Eyes seem better and eating well.
Will keep her on med`s for a while longer and stay with evil.
Rest of flocks good , Jack in good voice at 5.30 am . Hens were hungry so was calling for food . Cold Wet , snowed . Let the flock out shortly.
Have a good weekend , better weather coming my way next week.
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Good news about Pom Pom )t' what exactly is causing her eye problem? How is young Scramble getting on?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi lots going on in the flock of Penelope and Red.
First the sad news of another hen flying the bridge . A speckledy white ring (Coo Coo Maran ) bought at an auction (one of three )
She passed away in my arms at 7.15 pm Monday evening . Believed a case of old age .
Pom Pom is doing well , I had feared that she had CANKER . but seems that my fears are unfounded (hopefully)
Her eyes are open and apart from a wash with water now and again and the meds metacam once a day and baytril twice she is good . I am keeping her in till comp,etely happy with her as stopping to soon maybe wrong .
Next news is that one of the two terrors on Sunday caused me some concern . I found him up in the run roosting spot sitting next to DESMOND face to face .
Had a little thing , was he the terror of the two TERRORS or not.
Well I decided to leave him there and see if he will be friendly with Champ and Desmond and the big flock .
Come midday and I let the flocks out into the swamp of a back garden.
All good .
Well last night I locked up the flocks and I looked about as I do as it was dark . Went in doors just thoughtful.
Well a hour or so ready for bed in dressing robe . Ithought where was the Terror .Did not see him in the cockerel a dood1e hall with the 12 hens and terror one.
Could not remember seeing him with Desmond . I was troubled and could not think where he would be.
So late in the evening , big boots and dressing robe (was a bit nippy round the legs for sure . Went out to investigate further . Iwas right not in with Terror one , not up with Desmond , not in the internal coop , only two hybrids in there now as Pom Pom in kitchen . Not roosting on lower branches in run . locked up and open the Buckingham Palace coop . There he was on the bottom flooring happy as can be . warmer in there for sure with Champ up above him .
It would seem now that he has become a replacement third boy for flock instead of C.C.
Hopefully this will be a lasting trio and become a gang to keep the Terror one in check.
Now Scramble Junior is a hen with a pass to where ever she wants to go. Not laying yet but I am looking forward to seeing her eggs . (Do I let golden and Moe hatch some to see what color she produces ). Chasing collar doves as a hobby . Gets up on every thing Not the friendliest of hens and much a loner in the garden. Goldie and Moe still watch over her from a distance and she will always go to them , follow if a problem happens.
wet weather has destroyed the garden and thinking I will keep flocks locked up for a while .
So that is the news to date .
Interesting times at work as many plans and different work ideas in pipe line .
Still being told that I AM NEEDED . Have to step up being a strop and give the 2 finger salute . It is the fault that I am the scapegoat of the factory and if I am not there then someone else will have to be it . As an expert at being one for 42 years hard to replace .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , went home today and found Scramble in the nest area of Cluckingham Palace ,
I also found in the last few days /week 3 small eggs the size of my thumb nail.
So I think she has started laying of a sort and I have been lucky to have not got another lad.
More run dirt brought to work for covering the poor dead hen .
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

oh Bob sorry you have had another loss it seems to just set of a chain sometimes dosent it, lets hope thats the end of it for quite awhile!
have you put some chairs in your runs? it seem your flock are playing musical ones {rofwl}

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi today I found out why the Terror has gone next door,
The pair of Terrors were having a handbag moment . One is now taking control of the garden . still goes back to his hens to roost.
as long as they stop and avoid each other not a problem . may have to keep the Terror , Terror locked up .
Scramble jumping up on the coop (Jacks ) and studying me with the food. Does not take any or pick up off the floor. Just studying me. funny creature , never cease`s to make me laugh.
All good .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , quiet couple of days , except for the boys at 5.30 am .
Pom Pom still in with Evil and seems happy enough.
Flock all locked up and not out in garden . Too windy , ground churned up and well past my ankles in slop.
Never had it this bad and more I dig to get the water drained away the worse it has got.
Good for the flock legs .
Well have a good weekend .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Scramble Junior has decided to help her self to the food in the bowls on top of the Jacks run. I go off to feed the flocks and come back to find his beak in the bowls eating . She looks so funny .Cute with a strange look.
All well . Pom Pom is back on meds as her eye was shutting in the morning . Wash and she has it open again. She dirt baths , eats and drinks keeps her self clean and full on energy when I pick her up . maybe \I finished the meds to early . Evil loves a banana . Every day she eats practically a whole one from my hand .
Lots of eggs at the moment , getting my old customers back again .
Last month I got 63 pounds in the egg tin , so far this month 24 pounds .
I am doing my accounts as trying to live on what I believe will be a pension .
Surprisingly more money spent on animals and birds than myself (food wise.)
I have to decide before April where my future lies as that is the time to finance things - go for a long haul or go short term .
Hard to decide what to do as to many variables.
A push from the company would be helpful but not likely as I am in such demand (Ha ha) .
Hope all are well as this time of year is pretty boring for the flock .
Windy made life interesting for a while trying to catch the sheeting . rats still in and not shot one to date though I have tried many times.
No good as a sniper in the army for sure.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well all quiet this morningat 5.00 amboys having a lay in . Quick feed and off to work , late going home today as a meet with the `boss ` .
Flock will notbe happy for sure.
Bob