Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Post by KarenE »

Looks like it's all going well with Gibby and Lottie >fi< How are they doing after a few days together?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper

kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Giblet perches with her back to the nestbox but Lottie cant get onto the perch, last night when I closed up I found Lottie at the perch end of the nest, cuddled up to Giblets bum! I thought she must be cold so I put a heatpad in there. They dont interact much, I think it will be a gradual process of making friends, as Gib doesnt know what Lottie is & Lottie is probably a bit confused by Giblet's behaviour. Lottie likes to explore the run & peck treats from the ground, even went into the garden once, but spends alot of time in the coop & I worry that she doesnt eat or drink much without encouragement. She seems happy though & chats away alot.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

oh dear this is going to be trickier than I thought. I now realise why Lottie hides in the coop, she's scared of Giblet. When I took Gibby out for a cuddle, Lottie went to the food bowls & seemed more relaxed. Later I caught Giblet stomping around till she ran into Lottie then jumped on her & started pecking the air. The last thing I expected was Giblet bullying another hen! I'll need to tweak the run a bit & keep an eye on them & hope it blows over.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

oh dear Kitty, although i suppose it is very strange for Gibby to have an intruder after being on her own for awhile. Lets hope she will get used to the presence of Lottie but if it goes on too long just whatsup me.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

This morning Giblet is in the nest "laying an egg"? even though I found an egg randomly dropped in the run - I dont think she's broody (now squawky enough). So I put Lottie out to enjoy some scattered mealworms in peace. She sat down on her bum; as she does, & was still sat there after our dogwalk, she seems reluctant to walk today. I'm thinking that if she does have arthritis (as per Sandy's vet) she's probably suffering in the cold, damp weather today. So the other side of the run I've put a bedding filled travel box with a cover over & heatpad at the back, extra food & water, & popped her in there. She can still hear the other chooks & come out when she wants.
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Lottie is on my lap now (such a dear little thing) waiting for grumpy Giblet to settle to bed so I can put Lottie in there safely. Giblet has been squawking at me today so IS going broody, hence the grumps. I'm afraid that Lottie will get injured by Giblets jumping on her & am thinking of ways to seperate them, which is such a shame. I think Lottie would make a good house chicken.
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Lottie is sleeping in a box in the house tonight, as when I put her in the coop & shut the door I heard a kerfuffle, Giblet had jumped off her perch & attacked Lottie again! I'm rapidly going off Giblet!
--Immanuel Kant
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

I think it is still early days and given time they will accept each other. It is horrible to see how chickens can bully each other. My little Ivy still gets bullied by the 'big girls' every so often. They have never forgotten when she was ill after we came back from our holidays last September and always tend to pick on her. Therefore when I am not around I keep Ivy and Olive together in their part of the run and the 'bullies' in their run. Hang in there I am sure things will settle down. They are such funny creatures - don't you think they would like having each other for company!!?
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Nothing wrong in having a house chicken , they keep parrots all said and done .
She could pass as one (sort of anyway )
Time will tell .
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

For the past few days I've kept a fence down the middle of Giblet's run so Lottie has her own area with her own box, then I bring her indoors at night. Lottie has met the other chooks through the wire, she likes chatting to Bill. She met big queen Bonnie who tried to have a go at her, however, little Lottie raised herself up, puffed out her neck feathers & reached through the wire to pull Bonny's feathers! Well! I didnt expect that!
Anyway for a few days Giblet has squawked a bit, done some broody poops, sat on her nest for an hour every so often, but it hasnt lasted - perhaps she's too old. So once she seems back to normal I'll try mixing her & Lottie again & see what happens.
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

While Giblet was in her coop I let Lottie out in the garden sunshine, she went straight to Giblets flower bed & had a lovely dust bath for ages, she looked so happy there, but was very scared when the jackdaw came close (to steal Gibs food). When Gib came out nothing really happened as she didnt run into Lottie, but Lottie grabbed the chance to hurry back to her box & stayed in there. I'm thinking she may be happier in my brood run, its enclosed & safe, she'd have grass (she loves eating grass)& she could still chat to the other chooks through the wire.
Image Image Image
I'll wait a bit longer to decide
--Immanuel Kant
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

I am sure whatever you decide will be the right decision. Your photo's of Lottie are lovely. She looks so happy in her dust bath and I am sure she is enjoying all the care and attention you are giving her. There may be a few teething problems, but she looks very content in her new home to me.
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

well maybe time to change my signature, of course i will still collect Lottie if it all gets too complicated.
she looks absolutely contented and happy , just wish she and Gibby will be friends as the main reason she flew the Pink coop.
Cant believe she got herself all puffed up bless her, getting her confidence too?
Have to say although i miss her so much , gladdened my heart to see those lovely photos.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Lottie had a very nice afternoon in Giblet's garden. I fenced off an area on the grass for her & her box, she happily pottered around there for hours - rather than mostly staying in her box as she had been.
Today I received a dear little book full of chickeny photos & quotations, it was a mystery gift from a mystery sender. (but I have an inkling that Sandy might have something to do with it! )wav( )
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , I think she got a job lot .
lovely read.
Bob
All will end well , like all stories the end will be happy.