Sad end to the day

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
Greenhorn
Lively Laner

Sad end to the day

Post by Greenhorn »

Went out at 1.15 pm today to go to a friend's memorial. Got back around 5.00 pm to find a garden full of feathers. One dead hen Wanda (the Welsummer) and feathers everywhere. When I left today I had six bantams and two hens (one Welsummer and one Legbar). Apart from poor dead Wanda, could not find any other hens anywhere. Popped to a neighbour so she could check on her bantams and when we got back two of the hens re-appeared - Lillian the Legbar and Runaway the bantam. The others are nowhere to be found. Would a fox (or foxes) take the others? Could they have flown off? We deliberately did not clip the wings, so they at least had a fighting chance. It looks as if we have lost lovely Grace, Betty, Roadrunner, Speckles and Feathers (as well as Wanda). Ironically, the two who are left are the least "friendly" in that they do not like to be handled and hardly let me get near them. My beautiful Wanda and the other bantams were so sweet and friendly. Feel so guilty that I left them to roam in the garden whilst I went out. Who knew they would be in danger during those hours of the day? Sad and feeling very guilty.

Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Sad end to the day

Post by Mo »

It's always a toss-up. Think of all the hours of freedom they enjoyed that they wouldn't if you had been ultra careful.
Though that doesn't make it less horrid now.
Being less friendly, more suspicious has served those two well, and ay least they have each other.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Greenhorn
Lively Laner

Post by Greenhorn »

Thank you. Just had another lucky escape. I left the run open, in the very slim chance that any survivors might come back at bed time. Just went down to shut them up and the final two were nowhere to be seen, but a fox jumped over the fence in front of me. I hunted around the garden and found clever Runaway sitting very still and quiet in the Pittisporum. I nearly missed her. Mind you, stupid Lillian was actually in the hen house, so it was lucky I went down when I did, as that is where the fox would have found her. So, two still here. Still sad though. Will need some more to keep them company. On the upside, we had our first batch of hens around seven years ago and this is the first time we have lost any to a fox. Lillian was amongst the first batch, so she has been with us for about seven years. The bantams have only been here since September of last year, so that is even sadder.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

I let my flock loose during the day .
Dogs all about so I think it helps .
Lost some to a fox when I first got hens .
Boys in garden may also help as they frighten the life out of me when the attack . (Marks on legs to prove it.)
Sorry to here , now the fox knows a diner is about you best keep well protected .
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

So sorry to hear of your sad losses. it's a risk we all take when letting our girls free range, and we have to decide to make the trade off between their freedom and their safety.

Sadly the fox will take bodies and bury for a food source later, but if 2 of your girls escaped you may have others hiding. Fingers crossed that is the case.

Foxes are well known for hunting in daylight - they are not solely nocturnal, that is a common myth - and at this time of year they are feeding cubs so will be doubly bold. Now that the fox knows you have chickens, they will keep coming back so I'm afraid Lillian and Runaway may have to be kept in their run for the time being until you are really really sure the fox has moved on. Check the run for signs of weaknesses where a fox could get through ie gaps in the wire (even smallish ones) and make sure they can't dig under to get into the run (put paving slabs or wire right the way round). Try electric fencing, that is supposed to be very effective.

Even if you let the girls free range while you are there, I've read that foxes can still take a girl so quickly even under the owners nose, so do be very careful

Again, so sorry to hear of this and {hug} to you because this is the devastating thing we all fear
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

So sorry to hear this has happened, but the others may still be around and could come back. Just remind yourself that you gave them a good life. {hug} {hug}
Greenhorn
Lively Laner

Post by Greenhorn »

Thank you all so much. I am just not sure whether to replace the missing girls or not. Is it fair to have hens that are kept in their run all day every day? One the other hand, they give me so much pleasure (selfish) and there are now only two left. I knkow I have to keep them in for the time being anyway, as the fox knows they are here - but going forward. Advice anyone?
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Introductions are harder the less space you have, so perhaps it depends on the size of your run. The present 2 are used to each other and will pick on newcomers, so space to escape and hide is needed.
On the other hand you don't want to be left with one lonely hen when age gets the other.

I think a lot of us have gone from free ranging to building a large, walk-in (for our convenience) run. That is big enough for more hens than we have, so that a new batch can be introduced in rotation.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Just looked back at your old posts. If they are still in a 8'x8' run you have room to introduce 2 or 3 more if you want. That's more than 10 sq ft /hen so should be OK.

You can get problems with the little 3'x6' runs attached to arcs - I used to have mine in an arc with a fixed run + big moveable run of Flocknet (4' high which neither kept the hens in or the fox out, but worked OK for several years). One introduction ran into problems when I shut them into the run on summer evenings before going out - OK if they were thinking about bed, but not for hours.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

And if you don't get more where will you get eggs from. It is quite hard to be sure that the hens have better conditions than you can give them.
A lot of so-called Free Range hardly go out.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I too do not like the idea of keeping in a run, but if Mr/Mrs Fox know where they are ……….. I have seven ladies in quite a large run and a purpose built block house with tiled roof which is quite large, this was all built in mind of them being kept in because of any outside interest from foxes which I have seen during the day and in particular from my daughters dog.
Sometimes it is better to be safe than sorry imho.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I've just read this thread and am so sorry to hear your news. It's every chicken-keeper's worst nightmare.
We had a similar experience when a neighbour's dogs came into our garden - some dead, some hid, one never accounted for.
I think in the case of a fox, the chances of it coming back now are high, so the decision is an easier one. If you do decide to get more then it will be easier because they won't be used to anything else. If it's going to be a permanent arrangement then perhaps look at ways of creating interest for them, and maybe even moving the run around if you have the space.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

So sorry to read your sad news. Your poor little hens. I hope the ones who have survived will recover from the shock.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi ,This happens and you can only learn and move on.
Get more hens , you know what to do and you will protect them as best you can.
Free ranging brings risks , the hens will never know the difference but the best option is let them out when somebody is around .
What ever you do will be for the best.
Bob
Greenhorn
Lively Laner

Post by Greenhorn »

Thanks all. Originally we had four hens, then when of our Welsummes died of natural causes so we were left with three. We were given six bantams last September and they were introduced very slowly and all got along fairly well. Our Legbars picked on them every now and then, but generally only when corn was around. We lost a Legbar a few months' ago, which left us with one Welsummer, one Legbar and six bantams. Now, after the fox disaster there is one Legbar and one bantam. Theya re not the best of friends so do not cuddle up together, but live well enough alongside each other. There is a fairly large hen house and a rabbit hutch in the run. The run is high enough for humans to walk in and we are able to move the hen house and the rabbit hutch up and down the run. I think perhaps more are needed.

Thanks all.