Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
sandy
Legendary Laner

Re: Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Post by sandy »

You know Kitty, except for looking a bit lost in her bed at night Dottie seems fine, always chatting and yelling to the others and enjoying the logs i have put in her run for her to climb high, still trying to mix her with others but if Lottie does stay where she is may get a couple of bantams for Dottie?
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/

kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Lottie so enjoys being out on the grass I've rigged up a little run for her for the nice weather. I put her by the her flower bed this morning & she was straight in there pecking at the calendula.
Image Image
This is her set up out side, she has her own bit of garden with her own flower bed for scratching, nibbling & dustbathing & her box for shelter with food & water.
However when I returned to check on her later she was still in the flower bed, her legs are having a bad day, I put her by her box & she drank alot. Its a bit worrying that sometimes she cant get to her food & water. She went into the box & I gave her some egg (which Giblet had just laid for her!) It took a few minutes for Lottie to turn round in order to eat it, she loved it though so I left her to it, then came back in 20 mins to find her sitting in it! I had to clean eggy mess from her tum. She really is a very frail & vunerable little thing, far more so than Gibby, and I'm thinking that she may be safest living in the broody coop & run. She could still chat to the others & be out on the grass & i'm happy for her to sleep in our house at night, but when I'm not here the broody coop is safe.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Sounds like a plan. A happy future while it lasts. Attentive care .
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Lottie pretty well sits in the same spot most of the day now, she has a favorite spot in the flower bed bit & when I put her out she walks a couple of feet to get there, then pecks at the grass & the calendular plant & sits there until I move her. When I bring her indoors I put her on the floor so she can walk into her box but she then need help turning round to reach her food bowl. She ate loads last night before she settled down & was very chatty this morning. I've given her a little metacam to see if it helps her be more mobile.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

kitty you are doing a wonderful job looking after little Lottie... other. henpals Kitty and i whatsup incase you wonder why i havent replied earlier )like(
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

This is Lotties new run
Image Image
She's alongside Giblet's garden & the others gather around sometimes. I've turfed a patch & made her a little dustbath which I've seen her sitting in, but I dont think she can actually do the bathing thing anymore. She generally walks to the end & sits there looking over the garden.But I still bring her into our house at night. At least she's safe from the jackdaws that would come & steal her food & the not-very-clever pheasant that comes into Giblet's run to nick her food then cant find the way out!
--Immanuel Kant
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

What a lovely little set-up Lottie has got to herself. You are really looking after her very well indeed and I bet she feels so safe and secure in her new run. )like(
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Giblet is broody againwhich leaves Lottie a bit isolated - (while Gib is in her garden they are always near eachother even if Gib doesnt know it!) So every so often I scatter treats near Lotties run so the others hang around her. Yesterday Poppy & Lottie had a stareout (poppy wanted Lottie's treats) & Lottie was growling at her for ages, she sounded just like the fierce little dinosaurs on Jurassic park movie - maybe where the sound effect came from!
Lottie feels like she's getting thinner, her crop never feels full though she poops so must be eating. This morning I've kept her indoors with extra food to try - brown rice, peas, sunflower seeds, pear bits - i wanted to send her out with a crop full of something. shes had some but not much. Tried scrambled egg yesterday, she wasnt keen (and still has some stuck on her head!)Think I'll try & find her some live worms or something today.
--Immanuel Kant
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Hope that Lottie is OK. Mealworms always go down a treat with my four.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Just been out to get some CC! and some blueberries, Lottie likes fruit alot.
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , you have a custard cream tree in your garden .
Must visit when in season.
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

bikesandbirdsbob wrote:Hi , you have a custard cream tree in your garden .
Must visit when in season.
Bob

Bob you are bonkers!
I think Bonny's good eye is fading with age, she gets lost more often these days & walks round calling the others, & peers more closely at things I give her to eat. She's still top hen though & can see Poppy well enough to pull some feathers out occasionally.
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , If you are picking CC with the blueberries , I thought you was growing them.....
Pleased to read all doing well.
Bob
(Bonkers ME ... never )
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

How is wee Lottie now Kitty? And the rest of the chickenopolouses of course.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Bill, Poppy & Bonny are enjoying a bit of respite from the rain today (so far). Miss piggy is still broody- at least its dry in her nestbox. I sometimes think she does it on purpose to escape from Poppy's bullying, though it doesnt always work as Poppy sometimes pulls her off the nest. On the rainy days the old girls go back to bed & Bill is often wandering about on his own, poor old Bill. At least he has Lottie to dance for, he goes up to her run & dances & crows. She seems to like it - cant run away anyway! Giblet is still pancake broody & Lottie is still in half of her run atm. She seems to like being near the others, she still has a daily growl at Poppy, its become a bit of a morning routine.
Poor Bonny, I've noticed that her sight was waning in her good eye & she has trouble finding her treats. Today I noticed bubbles in her eye! She doesnt seem ill so I'm going to start with salt water rinses before the vets & hope its just a sinus thing. I hope its nothing to do with the rats & mice. There are loads of mice in the run this year & recently quite a few rats coming in from the big garden next door. We used to get lots of local cats passing through but I think they've all grown old & lazy, now there's just me waving my broomstick at them!
--Immanuel Kant