Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
sandy
Legendary Laner

Re: Blind Giblet & friends at Chickenopolous

Post by sandy »

Hope Bonny improves bless her >fi< Poor Bill , who wouldnt beleived little Lottie would be his paramour {rofwl}
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Rats seem to be numerous everywhere .
Must have been a good breeding season for them .
Bob
Hope all are well .
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

How is Bonny doing Kitty?
Lovely pictures of Lottie, i see she is sat her her position of feet out in front bless her. I am so relieved she is with you even if Gibby isnt! You are looking after her so well but i will still take her back if she becomes too much trouble. Dottie may sleep alone now but at least she has company in the day as does little Lottie.
Thankyou
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Bonny does seem improved from having daily salt water eye washes, I think it washes out her sinus at the same time, but she still cant see too well in the mornings & keeps bumping into things - seems to improve after her eyebath so I'll keep at it for a few more days.
Lottie/Little Chicky/Chuckle - her name varies throughout the day! Has spent alot more time indoors during the worst of the rain. When she goes out I try & vary her surroundings as she cant move very far. Some days she's been in Giblet's run where she's a wire netting away from the others. Yesterday I rigged up a clear tarp gazebo over half of Gib's flower bed, this is her favourite place, sitting in the sun surrounded in things she can peck at. Sandy, she does end up sitting like that quite a bit, but starts off standing for a long while & always manages to walk a little to get to her favourite calendular plant. The other day I was coming home from a quick shop when the heavens opened, everything was in my way & it took ages to get home, I was so worried that Lottie might be out in such heavy rain, but I found her tucked in a nice dry spot under her tarp! - so she can get mobile when she's motivated enough! Her biggest problem with walking is her stepping on her own feet & falling over, I wonder if her leg joints are a bit wonky that she always stands like that. I check her as often as I can & get her to straighten & stand by her food bowl or she wont eat. At night she comes in to a box next to my desk has a good nosh, then chuckles at me till I cover the box.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Hope Bonnie is okay. We are all very excited about having a VIP visitor in a few weeks, a very special sparkly houseguest! The girls have all promised to be on their best behaviour - they won't be, they are all terrible fibbers! :-D
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Right now she is still in the housebox but is chuntering & growling because the door is open & she can hear Bill & Poppy outside. I wonder if your girls will get a chuckle or a growl?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Lottie has been moved around a bit & is now back in the enclosed broody run but moved across the garden. She liked being in the flower bed, but once she rolled under the fence panel while lying down & ended up in with Giblet, another time she fell on her face & got stuck, & despite all my efforts her food kept being eaten by other creatures. When I put her in the broody run I found a rat lurking under the nestbox! So I've moved it, & so far no invaders. Now I can see how much she eats, not much, only the fruit, petals & greens I give her, she only seems to eat & drink from her bowls when she comes indoors. If she's still going by the winter I think she'll be full time indoors.
Bonny has recovered but her closeup eyesight is poor, she needs glasses poor girl (a monicle really). I put the small nestbox on top of the big one (less hiding places for rat) so its quite high up & Miss piggy has started laying eggs up there, funny thing.
Giblet is dropping broken thin shelled eggs on the ground most days, very messy.
--Immanuel Kant
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Good to hear Bonnie is doing better, oh dear Lottie is getting a right handful isnt she Kitty :oops: bless her, thankyou so much for gving her so much care and love. I think Dottie sent her a note on their diary.

kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Phew! Chickenopolous is sure glad that super hot day has passed! Bill was walking around all day with his wings out & everyone was panting. Lottie (or Little Chic-Choc as I like to call her) spent the morning under the blackcurrant bush but got moved into her travel box in the dining room where its coolest for the afternoon. I put a cool pack against it too, then she got a couple of hours back on the grass later. Giblet got a cool pack next to her food bowl too. I was surprised that they all went to bed very early, I spose they were exhausted, but it was very stuffy & hot in their coop so I left the pop holes open, wedged the lids a crack open & put some ice packs inside for them. Misspiggy is broody again so she was left where she was in the run for the night. I am seeing slightly less rats & mice around the run lately, however, the ones I see are getting big. 2 huge rats keep running out of the run, they havent tried digging in yet but its only a matter of time, I'm afraid the air gun is out & ready, these 2 are big enough to be a threat to the chooks!
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

3 tiny baby rats were hiding under Giblet's coop yesterday. I wish I could hate them, but oh dear even rats are cute when they are tiny & wobbly. I caught a small rat in the cage trap, well it caught itself really! I hadnt set the trap or put any food in it, so the rat had pushed its way in the little back trap-door for no apparent reason! :b( It was small & I felt sorry for it as it was so stupid, so I took it to the secret release spot & let it go.
The chooks all went to bed very early tonight, even Giblet which is most unusual. They must have sensed the storm coming.
--Immanuel Kant
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Yes it sounds like it's going to be a bad one. Hope we don't get floods!

Hope all the Opolouses weather the storm well >fi<
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Sad news this morning, I just found Misspiggy dead on the lawn. Her comb was purple, I think her heart gave out. She has had episodes of panting & purple comb, but she kept bouncing back. I think she was suffering with the heat yesterday but I was busy with our new grandbaby & forgot to check on her. She was 7 1/2 years old.
Image Image Image Image Image
--Immanuel Kant
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi a grand age .
Sorry to hear ,
thoughts go out to you and your flock.
Bob
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Bill's flock is looking awfully small now, just Poppy & Bonny (Giblet & Lottie looking on of course) Poppy was looking quite lost once she realised MissP wasnt coming back, I suppose to her it means she's now bottom hen. Poor Bill was limping yesterday, I found he'd torn off a whole toenail, he must have caught his foot on something because he also has a swollen joint on that toe. I've bathed it & purple sprayed it & he doesnt seem too bothered now, but I noticed his scaley leg is coming back, I hope it's not become immune to the ivermectin.
Lottie is still going, but gradually deteriorating. She doesnt eat much now & has a very slight wheeze. But she still enjoys cuddles & the sunshine, joins in with the flock chatter & yesterday when the sun was shining I put her in the dustbath at "tomato corner" & she had such a lovely time rolling about that I fenced a bit of it off & left her in there for ages. The others soon came along & bathed along side her in the other half.
--Immanuel Kant
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

So sorry to hear that you have lost Miss Piggy Kitty. What a marvellous age. I have never had a chicken that old, ever. You have obviously given her a marvellous life with lots of love and care.