Butternut Squash

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Butternut Squash

Post by KathJ »

Just been reading that pumpkins are a good treat for my girls (especially as it looks like one of them has signs of worms) but I think I've missed the Halloween boat }hairout{ Would butternut squash be just as good?? They're on Flub but I thought a bit of extra help can't do any harm and I'm sure they'd love something different.
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: Butternut Squash

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

hi mine do not touch the pumpkins.
Bob
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Well they loved the butternut squash )t' Lots of chatter when I brought it out and the seeds were gone in a flash, didn't take them long to demolish the whole thing )app(
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Chickens are funny things, mine would not even eat worms when I first had them, took them about 3 months to realise they would not bite them. LOL
They now eat, courgettes, marrows, cucumber, pumpkins and lots more and really love tomatoes.
They still will not eat carrots, maybe they don't want to be able to see in the dark.
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Each year I buy a pumpkin for my girls and each year they turn their beaks up at them. Will not touch pumpkins!! I have never tried butternut squash, may give that a go. I have cut down on their greens recently as they all had mucky bottoms - seems to have done the trick. They love cucumber, but seem to have gone off tomatoes. They really are funny girls or are they just spoilt??!!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

When I had hens mine used to like melon seeds. And would strip the melon skin of any flesh that our teeth hadn't removed (I'm not such a soft touch as some of you!)
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Mo wrote:When I had hens mine used to like melon seeds. And would strip the melon skin of any flesh that our teeth hadn't removed (I'm not such a soft touch as some of you!)

95% of what I feed the girls is an overgrow, if that is a word, of things I have grown.
I do freeze loads, but my freezers are packed to capacity.
The other 5% are for mealworms occasionally, so maybe a 'bit' of a soft touch, Mo.