Feather Eating

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Feather Eating

Post by KathJ »

One of my girls is currently a little devil with feather plucking from the other girls and eating them. They get mealworms every day is there anything else I can give them to up the protein as maybe this is what she's lacking?
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx

KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Feather Eating

Post by KarenE »

Hi Kath,

Sunflower seeds are also high in protein, so try her on them too. Feather plucking can develop into a nasty habit though do keep an eye on her. You might have to get some anti peck spray if it doesn't stop, although tbh I'm not sure how effective that is (especially to the poor bird preening!)

Try the sunflower seeds, and if you can get live white maggots too. Sardines.

Karen
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Thanks Karen, yes just had a brainwave this morning about sardines and I have some at home. They used to have them fairly regularly but over the winter they've gone in when I get home so don't get the same treats.
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I have been known to give my ladies scrambled eggs which they absolutely adore, but maybe I am a bit mad. :oops:
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Yes scrambled eggs are good too - I always forget about eggs!
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Forgot to post my experience last Friday when I 'tried' to give the girls some sardines :oops: Took out a tin of sardines in two small bowls, I left them outside while I went in to poo a scoop. When I went out to get them there was a very satisfied looking cat with a big grin on it's face and no sardines {warn} Ever since the cat (which I've named Tiddles as I'm not sure if it's a he or she) had adopted me and is there every time I go out the girls, hoping for seconds I think. I've been really worried about it though as over the weekend when it was so cold it was just sat outside the patio doors meowing. It does look well cared for though and it's very affectionate and cute and winds itself around your legs. I'm allergic to cats though and we have a lurcher (not a good combination) so we're tying not to encourage it and desperately trying to find out if it has a loving home.
Kath xx

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

ha!
There was an article about catnapping in this morning's Guardian.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Maybe its owner works and it is looking for company.
We had a cat who would come home smelling of perfume or cigarettes, depending who he'd spent the day with. And was a very fussy eater at our posh neighbour's, but keen on the cheapest catfood from us.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Crikey Mo, that was interesting!! Maybe our little Tiddles is more cunning than I thought!! Don't think we need to encourage it anymore though {warn}
Kath xx

Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Didn't someone somewhere take a landscaped gardener to court a few weeks ago?
If I remember correct there was a judgment made to stop them feeding and encouraging the cat into their house.
It was on google, did anyone else see it?
You could maybe take a picture of said cat and post it around your area asking if it has an owner and if so get them to ring you, KathJ.
If that fails maybe get it to a vet to see if it is microchipped...……..
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

Hi Gwen, yes I put some posters up yesterday and also my friend put it on FB(I'm not on it) and a lady came back to say it looks like her neighbours cat who moved a couple of months ago not too far from us so that sounds quite likely. She said it was very friendly and would go into other people's houses who'd give it food. I'm happy as long as I know it's got a home to go to and isn't relying on me to feed it )t'
Kath xx

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

The Guardian article must have been sparked by the court case Gwen mentioned then they asked for stories from readers, then when the article went online they opened it for comments.
One of the comments was, 'dogs have owners, cats have staff'.
I'm not sure anyone can say that they own a cat. Some certainly like company though. I've had cats that would follow me round the garden, or come and post a letter with me (with detour up a telephone pole which I didn't take).
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

(with detour up a telephone pole which I didn't take).[/quote]

May I ask why not, Mo are you afraid of heights? {rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}

Glad it has been sorted out, KathJ.