My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi rabbit is a she , mother of my previous loved rabbits (been on here ) .She has been sorted .
They were good together but seems lately both hens and rabbits are disagreeing with each other so seperated from each other .
All good pasta for breakfast this am.
Bob

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well last evening /night I was pulled out of my blankets because one of my cats was wailing . Well got down stairs and my male small black white cat Lexie was looking into the corner of the stairs wailing .
In the corner was a 2 inch long RAT. (Including its tail. ) . Well I had got recently a hamster cage . So out I go and in it comes . Fortunately it was still in the corner . I went to grab it and it shot off the cat caught in its mouth and then it was chase the cat , Chase the rat . Managed to catch it and in the cage .
Today I took the cage over to the park in the country side . It was buried in the sawdust and had to dig around in the sawdust to find it . Lively . managed to grab it and by its tail took it to the brambles and it jumped onto the floor run , hopped off to the bushes , never to be seen again.
2 things where did the cat catch it . This is the cat I still have to take to the vets as can not find it during the day.
as a baby others can be expected to appear in my front room tonight no doubt.
Now I have to watch out for them in the garden and neighbors banging on door again .
Not happy at all.
Not going to declare rats as ever one will be at my door again.
Also I turned the lights on , a bulb blew , fuses went so again out in the cold to switch back on for the morning.
Flock out again today in the garden .
Bob
9 eggs
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all ,well no furies last night , when I went to feed the flock this morning , my female cat Indie (brown , stripe ) had been locked in since the evening before. Not worried just strolled out past the early hens awake.
Bit concerning if she is going into the run again as maybe a few rats back again , though I have not seen any evidence as yet.
Check the coops and runs out the weekend.
Flock out in garden , did not collect the eggs today so double tomorrow if not broken.
Again should not say it but the flock are looking good and doing all the naughty things they do.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , All good at the flock of Penelope and Red.
Garden excersize for about 4 .5 hours only today.
14 eggs . eating well and only a couple moulting so a fine plump looking hens .
Leg pecker is getting under my feet and pecks quite hard at times.
She has a couple of followers as well . I can understand how one hens actions are copied by other hens and soon gets spread through the flock especially if a few treats are given at the same time.
Good clean out of coop yesterday more tomorrow .
Bob
House wise still up setting times as more things go over the tip never to be seen again.

Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , keeping my locked up for the day just to make them used to being inside the run.
It is very windy and cold . They have plenty of (mixed food ) in the run and place out of the wind.
All look pretty healthy.
They are noisy as they want out .
Rabbit let out for a short while to stretch legs.
dark when I get home so safe is best I think .
Foxes must be getting hungry by now as the weather is getting colder .
Hope all are well ,they do try us at times .
bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi again , I found the missing baby rat (to be id by SHMBO-took a picture ) dead under my furniture which I was moving around last Sat.
Unfortunately could not be saved and let loose miles away.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all, hens up with the alarm clock this morning ,nothing to say as no problems and all behaving normal. Cold weather encouraging cuddling up in the coops.they seem to have changed their sleeping positions around . 10 eggs a day .
Let them out in garden later as the sun is out today so the radio says.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , I had a interesting chat with someone at work yesterday afternoon.
He lives in Brightlingsea Essex and next door neighbour has a flock of bald neck chickens and 70 plus Alpaca`s . I said they where called naked neck`s and I had one . I now know where to get a stud chicken for Scramble to bred with should I ever risk hatching again .He said at the start he was looking to get some hens . stories of getting a digger and clearing bushes as high as low trees and running into a lump to find that it was a old tractor dumped there .He made me jealous , though the 1 to 1 and half travelling to work and again home was not what I would want to do.
It seems that plenty of land out that way , but a bit far from where I would like to live .
But a possible in the not to distant future .
All good this morning hens still a sleep till I put food in feeders .
Had a half hour cuddle with the rabbit what pushed head into my neck ever time I moved she moved nearer . lovely rabbit and needs more of my attention which she likes.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , had the pair of plumbers admiring my flock today with the usual question , how old do they live ,where they come from , how many , eggs , DO I EAT THEM.....
They seemed surprised how friendly they are and approachable.
they are all well .
My rat catcher is going into the next door garage .Maybe the answer where they are being caught. They will have to be spoken to as I will be getting the blame again.
A long week nights next week and looking forward to a rest...….
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , a good weekend , strong winds kept the flock in run Sunday .
Today I noticed two tone behaviour differently.
I gave her some Baytril and will give her some more for the next few days to make sure she is ok .
I am working on the fact that too soon is better than too late.
Hope she is ok as like her .
Leg pecker is always at my feet pecking at my trousers and feet .
So nr5 white ring is now officially called leg pecker . I came home Sunday to find a hen running around my kitchen / front room . How she managed to sneak past me going out / in from garden I do not know . She was not happy when I got back but soon ran out into the garden when I opened the door . She now thinks she can get in anytime she wants , as found her in the kitchen again since then .
Beginning to wonder if she has discovered the CAT FLAP...…..
May have to recall it the hen flap.
House wise the bath room upstairs has been RIPED out and walls taken down and the ceiling above pulled off , ` new boiler ` put in .Paint and dec. now on third room upstairs . waiting plasterer .My bits and bobs are disappearing over the dump and soon only my stamp albums will remain. They too are in danger .
I have now got in my head that like a dead person giving away his belongings.
House is going to be finished and ready to sell long time before I had planned .
looking for places for my creatures and me .
Interesting times ahead for sure .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi also whilst writing , another 3 furies found unfortunately for them all died .
SHMBO iD them as MICE . Bay ones.....
Seems the black and white one is catching them and bringing them home as presents . Thanks …..
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well Two Tone is in the kitchen , second day of meds , in a cat cage with door open looking out into the flock , food and water with critical care powder in water and a bit of soaked bread . Chunk of dog food and a couple of bits of banana .She is getting best attention , but seems much like my last hen .
No point in going to the vets as have the med`s for her.
See what she is like in the morning . Sweet corn next on the fed list .
She can stand up and move but seems like she does not want to.
Cleaned the large coop out today , small one tomorrow . rabbit out in garden with flock and not hassling each other .
House is another story , took the stud wall down and brought the wall that had been plastered with it .
I was asked did I put it up...…
The house was built it would seem by a bodge artist . Now being put right . New heating system working ,digital , lost me on the first button to push . I now how to turn it OFF...….
No hob as going Electric I am told.
It seems I will have to take many visits to the Elephant and castle to pay for this I am sure .
Like the house I ain`t going to get paid much either …..(Ha Ha)
Well the plan is it will be finished by March (End of the Latest ) So maybe on market soon and looking for a caravan to live in , in a field no HA HA…
Hope all are well as not seen much written lately , Waggy finger...
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Also her poo is that green runny stuff.
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

{warn} to you too Bob.... See members section.....
and i promise to write my diary tomorrow sir +f+
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Not the first time today I have had a waggy finger .
Hi Sandy.
It is either all going well or a hen is sick at the moment and pretty boring in between .
Bob