My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Better still sofa surfing with them all in tow any offers...……
Bob

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Bob 28 weeks? is that retirement? perhaps you can get a trailer on the pack of your shopping trolley {rofwl} you would soon make it onto your local news!
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Maybe not retirement , just a move . Depends how far to travel to work .
Flock good Sunday night I locked up the flock in the dark.
I went out latee in the evening to double check all well and next to the rabbit hutch door behind the wire outer fence was a blue ring hen , fast a sleep .
She had obviously got confused when the other side of wire stupidly did not think about going back toward s the pond and round so just got comfortable by the old med ward , rabbit hutch.
Picked her up and put her in the big coop . I am now out in garden with a torch checking to make sure none are still out .
Chased the rabbit around the garden last night as she was out for some freedom . She did not want to go back in .
Grapes , rolls , lettuce and small toms left in the feeders this morning for the flock .
Food pellets in the feeders so do not need to top up , water buckets filled last night , so early to work this morning .
Plaster finishing the bath room up stairs Sat. Sun. next weekend and tiles and toilet etc the next week when on night shift .
More plastering in the bed rooms and dec /painter will finish off .
Upstairs done.
Then it is pay up for work and see how much left and the ground floor started .
Not sure where I will end up after that starts .
De-terming not to move back up stairs as I will ruin the work by living in it.
No doubt more things will be going , dining table next week .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi an afternoon up date .
Not good .
I went home to let the flock out . I have been watching for a dark blue ring hen that was not looking normal .
Found her stuck under a branch not able to back out .
Took her in doors . She has eaten cat food , sweet corn , pellets mealworms and grapes and tomato .
She is in the kitchen free ranging with a cat box straw bottom for sleeping in .
She also has had Bayril and a squirt of water .
See what she is is like tonight . Poo green …….
Standing up and can hit a grape with her beak so eye sight is ok .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi my poorly hen is still in the kitchen , cooing this morning when I poked her .Left the food and water at the cat box door for her .
Meds later . Heating was on specially for her …..
Have to wait and see .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi latest up date on my poorly hen number 03 blue ring .
She has had her Baytril meds . She is out of the cat box and wandering around it.
She ate half a pouch of cat food in gravy . Grapes , toms and dry food. Let her out with the flock for a short stretch whilst clean up kitchen . Had help from a couple of hens .
She is back in the kitchen with dry food in a bowl as against on the floor , more grapes 1/4 for easy eating same with the small cherry toms. and bread as well . Sprayed flea spray just in case of bugs . Left her looking out of the door standing up .
as I went back to work , I looked round the side gate entrance and a hen was perched on the thin board a metre high blocking the way to the gate . She was studying a way through the metal scrap going to the metal yard (for cash ) . I had to knock her back off it and she wandered off till the next attempt to escape.
So I am happy with the poorly hen as eating well . Her crop was full last night /evening and this am was empty . Filling it up well .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , this morning I found the No. 3 blue ring , ( should name her ) standing out side the cat box in the kitchen . I put some cat food down and she gobbled it up , followed by boiled egg grapes and tom.
I put back by the back door nearer the food and water . Noticed she was shaking her head a little so will check her when I give her meds for bugs . Her poo is more normal like .
Early days but as long as she still keeps eating and moving around I still hold on to some hope of her recovering from this illness and living a while longer in the garden.
I noticed yesterday that a hen had a purple comb the rest did not . When I went to check her out she legged it and was eating away from me . Not sure what that is about but will have a check again today .
Must be having some of my flock reaching that 4 year old period where it all goes horrible again .
I always hope for the best and fear the worst , especially when I open the gates in the morning .
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Glad that your little hen seems to be doing well Bob and here's hoping she is going to make a full recovery. I am with you about the 4 year old mark, it's very true that things do go horribly wrong.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Purple comb is usually a sign of lack of oxygen, poor circulation, respiratory/breathing difficulties.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi couple of things , poorly hen no.3 blue was found wandering around the kitchen today inspecting the cat bowls. She has lost weight . I put her up on the sink top and checked her feathers. SHE IS MOULTING , new dark brown feathers covered in the hard skin. Could be a bad moult but she has lost some weight even though she is eating well and drinking .
Keeping her inside to be safe as not wanting her bullied .
Purple comb hen does not seem to have any out ward signs of illness . My first thought was the cold weather and sleeping to near the door opening . Not sure the best way to treat her .Watch and see how she goes.
Snow storm today .First time for the flock in winter.
Did not stop the young hens digging in the puddles and dirt holes .
Hawhay storm named by Spanish is arriving this weekend for a change …..
Eggs down but not a problem as not doing a promotion this week.
So many people moaning about the weather at work . It is winter .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , well Nr.3 is still alive and being a naughty hen.
Last night I got home 11.00PM (Stop out ) and there she was eating her super . This morning she was standing out side her box head under her feathers snoring....
Woke and proceeded to eat her breakfast . Crop was empty so must be going through her .
Still light . Give her , her meds later this morning . Not going to let her out in the flock till she has put weight on .
Rest of flock happy check them later this morning . Youngsters awake at 5.30 am as normal , hungry and noisy .
Off Sat and Working again Sunday day and a week of nights so time with flock.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well this may not seem related but bare with me.
I went home today and picked up my post , mag for small holdings and a letter .
Put it down .
Fed the flock etc .
Went back to the letter … Inland Rev. HM Custom Tax...….
Well opened it up and it said YOU are BEING checked out for your Tax payments etc 17-18.
It wanted accounts and last bit (RELATED )
CHARITY RELIEF CLAIMED....
Not the first time had this done to me .
Well I rang them up (Tax Office ) Chap not in gone home early.
Lady explained Charity claim for tax relief on form needed proving …..
+Well the only charity I do is the BWHT....
Due to house clearance any paper work from the last 20 years plus has been binned .
Spoke to answer phone at Hen HQ.
Sent a message requesting assistance .
well with in minutes they replied confirming 2018 to 2019 payments.
Replied need the few months before . Going to check and send Monday .

Well I am sure this will be an on going story for a few weeks .Hate paperwork at best of times.

So I say a big thank you to the charity BHWT as they have come to the rescue with confirmation I am paying it.
as for the rest . Tax man will not have much to look at as been skint for 8 years and no interest etc been paid on a current account.
Wish they paid relief on the interest Barclays have charged me over the years on my house . Ha Ha.
Had a estate agent value my house today now and how much when work carried out .
If I spend to much I will not get my return.
Such is life .
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Glad t hear ring 003 is doing well and nothing more serious than a moult. Looks like she's decided to winter indoors, their equivalent of us going to Tenerife for the winter I daresay! Hope your little purple comb hen is just suffering the effects of the weather. It has been a bloomin awful winter and autumn come to that, can't remember a wetter one.

Smallholding mag? Don't, you'll get me all jealous. :-D
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi yesterday 003 went out the front with 2 other hens
Wind blew her to her side and struggled to get up .
Eating and drinking ok but crop is empty most of the time . Shaking her head . No bugs that I can see on her . I still giving her meds . Out of the cat box earlier than me this morning .
I think a case of Mearks .
Not sure if Baytril will cure .

Ground is so wet .
10 eggs a day .
I know the flock is happy as this morning the noise they made as I fed them at 6.00am ,later than normal.
House front no news on value from Estate agents.
My best going out shirts from many years past. They were floral rose front white back and sleeves . Found where I put them now in the tip .
Does this mean my dancing days are over ……
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

I don't think you will have much time for dancing anyway Bob with all the girls and boys you look after, house renovations, selling house etc. Small Holding Mag??!! Now you have got me intrigued .... and jealous.