My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Sounds like you have finished work now Bob, for the time being at least. Enjoy your time with your animals and stay safe yourself. Will miss you on this Forum.

sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Sorry Bob its a bit late.....
Bob is at home, no more building of course, he will be back at work April 22, he asked how you were all doing.
His blue ringed girl has been renamed Fridge Magnet as she has taken up home in the kitchen.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi all , glad to be back . Funny Wed home by 9 and thurs off and in today.
Could not make it all up.
Anyway I have lost two of the sisters whilst off with in a week of eah other .
Big N the Brentwood hen rescued has caught CANKER and managed to get meds from vets 50 pounds she is seemingly doing well but been here before so wait and see.
My kitchen hen goes out the front door and munches the grass , when she has had enough she wanders back in ,munching the dog food , cat food on the way .
I open the fridge and look down to see her head pointing straight up , eyes staring at me as if to say what you got.
I watch tele and she wanders up to the sofa to see what I am eating .
She wanders up to me in bed and tells me to get up .
She is bullied badly by a number of hens and all she wants is to come in the kitchen .
Plenty of eggs and not many people to sell to.
I have been in training for this virus for 20 years and did not know it ……
Welcome to my world of chaos .
I hope all are well and their flocks .
Posted parcel Sandy , should get by Monday first class and still 3-5 days delivery.
Well got more emails to delete (600 plus this morning ) half way through.
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Face it Bob, Fridge Magnet is now and probably always will be a house hen :-D
I have sent you a random package which i hope you will find useful )j;
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Sandy rec`d the parcel and thank you . I appreciate it and always wander what might be inside .
Sad news , rec`d a e mail from the boarding home that Desmond was found dead in the afternoon of 18th April 2020.
A sad end to my boys.
Fridge Magnet is still in Kitchen , front room , front lawn anywhere but the back garden .
Helps her self to any thing on the floor and on my plate …..
I think she has it made , looks out of the back door pulling faces at the rest of the flock looking at her smacking her beak with food.
Eggs are now selling well and sold 30 Sat in one go.
Have problem with Darcy the boss of the household .
He was attacked by a neighbours dog that escaped (was looking after it for a couple of months ) He disappeared from Thurs last week . Found him hiding upstairs in a shelving unit.
Suffering from P S D . Last night was the first time he slept on my bed.
Not eating and drinking much but getting better. Lots of TLC and maybe he will visit the neighbour`s again soon . They were all looking for him when he disappeared .
So glad he was not injured .
Flock seem enjoying the weather and the longer days .
Rabbit is being kept separate from flock. let out after I put the girls away.
Still trying to catch up with the goings on .
Hope all well and keeping safe.
Those out in the wilds are the lucky ones .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , All Good today .
Well and the flock let loose in the garden . Rain softened the ground so the worms and bugs better watch out as they are scratching as much as they can.
Big N still having the meds twice a day ,.8 mil .
Fridge magnet was put out the front for 30 mins before going to work and came back soaked . Will not harm her to get the change in weather .
I was watching Harbour lights last night and had Cookie the rabbit for company , he does love cuddling under the chin whilst I am watching tele.
Litalen is brodie and saves me looking for eggs . The size of a pigeon and has 6 eggs under her easily.
Goldie is vocal and loves a treat . No5 white ring is a so and so . She waits at the back door and as I open it and put my leg through she darts in and runs through the house looking for the dog/cat bowls and the front door.
She escapes up the road as much as she can and is brought back by neighbours quite often . They know her as her ring stands out .Always asking about her welfare .
<36 in flock have counted 34 including Fridge Magnet .
They are put to the run at about 7.00 pm nut still up much later , Cookie lays by the door of run hoping to join them . I will have to crack his nuts as he is trying to start a new breed of animal and will harm the hens.
Keep well and safe . Ran out of eggs and people at work are after some.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Well firstly I hope all are well and safe and your families .
Well It is all go again.
Fridge Magnet has company from yesterday afternoon.
Blue ring no 10 was poorly , not looking poorly but full on. Wings down , head lowered ,rear down .
Checked her over and she has lost weight , no bugs that I could see and clean rear .
She is at the dangerous time for hybrid rescue hens 4 years old plus.
Well gathered her up and put on draining board .
Sweet corn and pellet mix in large bowl (stopped the mess)
She ate the pellets avoiding the sweet corn . Eyes seem ok though her sense on treats and food maybe in question .
Gave her a .4 ml of Tylan , that magic antibiotics .
Left her in the fruit crate expecting the worse . She did get out and looked out the back door .
Last evening she was wanting to go to roost as normal but I have kept her in with the radiator on next to her bed.
She slept standing up which is a good sign that she still has the strength with the Fridge Magnet .(Nesting as she does ).
This morning still with us . More meds and food . She also had cat food in her bowl last night.
Still looking poorly but whilst she is eating on her own has some chance.
Big N had her meds last night and this morning , she still sleeping at the highest level in the big coop .
Rain did not stop play yesterday.
Cookie not let out yesterday as did not fancy splashing around the garden after him.
Work is still interesting to say the least and the company is making safety and medical equipment like it was a war time event.
Engine`s are need for the transit vans no doubt and need to get working and expecting some additional amount of work and employees returning to work . Additional workers have been taken on to make the new work being done .
I have a few more weeks work before my rest time kicks in again .
Not sure how the future shifts are going to take shape .
My big worry is , should I take up my pension now , cash it in and invest it in something or take the risk in not getting a pay cut next pay talks which would effect my final pension salary etc.
So lots to think on but for sure my flock , animals are not going to suffer on it , well they are not in lockdown are they . They must be laughing and saying to them selves how do you like being locked up for months …..
Keep well you can have a recovery plan later .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well I got through the works gate , temp ok ….
Well yesterday afternoon another one of the sisters was beginning to look under the weather . Brought her in , med Tylan with No 10 . Fridge Magnet has now got 2 wing hens with her in the kitchen .
This morning Sister and F.M. out the front garden No 10 still asleep had to wake her up with several prods to give her meds.
Big N had her last meds and will get some more today .
Flock out in the garden , high up hens helped down , I tell you they wait now for me to pick them up and put on the ground.
So I have a cunning plan . Fridge Magnet not welcome in flock , so now she will have her own flock and when she gets out in garden some safety in numbers .
Due to 3 hens in kitchen ,corralled them by the back door .
Darcy the old cat has recovered from the dog attack and now sleeping with me again and on top of cabinet instead of hiding in it .
went for a walk with my dog (essential visit near bye and Epping forest is locked up with logs in all lay byes and no where to park so another open space shut down.
Well another day unfolds going toward s making the area where possible safe etc .
Keep safe and well .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , hope you are bearing up under this difficult times.
Fridge Magnet and sister are doing well and the trainee is picking up where and when and what to look out for .
Blue number 10 is not so well and still on Baytril .
Not sure how she will fare . Making sure she eats when home .
rest of the flock out in garden enjoying digging for worms.
Weekend off so can give them the attention they have had before I returned to work.
Work is getting prepared for return of employees , phased in .
Not sure if I will be at work after another 2 weeks .
To be honest I would rather be at home with the flock .
getting lazy mind set .
Anyone that told me I be better at work than at home all the time are completely wrong .
Work is only here for money and when you are at the point in life when it is not so important it is a struggle to go to it.
Darcy is know better after his dog attack on him and beginning to go out again on his accord .
Happy now he is a lot better in his mind set.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , well I am off soon so a last wish you well for a couple of days.
Nr 10 is not looking good and losing her strength . Feeding her sweet corn stuffed with pellets and herring /tom sauce.
Her friends are with her .
Picking up more meds today as not ready yesterday.
Thank you Sandy got the package in post today , wish you would save your money till I visit as it must cost you a fortune.
Looking forward to the chocs tonight.
Tough day again but hay ho .
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Bob I certainly agree with you about not going to work. I have never been off so long in my life and I love being at home. Trouble is I don't want to go back - but needs must.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , yes work is a bind .
Fortunate to have a choice I suppose , a lot more have not .
Well sad new s Number blue 10 died Saturday night . She died in her sleep peacefully . She was a good hen and fought hard and had a good life with me.
Sister went out into the flock and only came back yesterday to raid the food bowls . Then out again .
So F M is on her own with no intention of going back with the flock .
Egg count is down to 4 a day not sure the reason why .
Keeping a eye on them . I think a rest and a aging flock. Lots of meetings getting in the way at work , not sure if I will be around next week (Fingers crossed ) Next supervisor chomping at the bit to get back to work .
He does not realise what he is going to come back to.
Keep well , hopefully this is coming to an end , well at least before Xmas .
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

So sorry about No 10 (aka boris?) good to hear from you, and 100 thanks for the tylan )like(
Keep safe....last big get together was 1 year ago today, time has flown!

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all ,
Well all good , Fridge Magnet is in I am not going out with the flock mode .
Big N is still getting her med`s twice a day . Will have to check her throat out tonight . She is eating well but sometimes has trouble swallowing it.
I am worried I cannot remember if I brought her in this morning from the front garden .
Hope I did , She will not go far and hide in the pots if needed .
Go home later and check it out .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , Fridge Magnet is safe in the kitchen , behind 2 very large bags of saw dust as a barrier.
Maybe I should call the escape sister hen should be called the ` chancellor` name .
She cashes in on the food treats etc in the kitchen . also she is ` taxing ` .
I have gone of work as somebody has decided that I should do some , really not the thing to be doing to me I am sure .
Long time since I have had to think for a living …..
Not to worry I am sure the people at home will appreciate it when more come to work next week.
Looking forward to taking the fat dog Polo for a walk tonight .
Bob