My attempt to keep chickens.

Start your own thread and let us follow you through the year
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Re: My attempt to keep chickens.

Post by Grannyof4 »

When you say might be one of each do you mean duck/drake? Ducks quack and drakes don't. I always noticed that drakes tail feather tends to curl inwards. I love ducks but oh so messy.

bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

Hi , yes I have a quaker and amute .
So as I believed one each. The re home in Suffolk is not going to happen as they have the limit and do not want to go through DEFRA .
Next choice will probably be the Sea side resort that Desmond went to if they would have them.
They love the paddling / sand pool . Had to laugh as they was looking for food and telling me quite loudly . I was watering the pool and trays and other containers and they stood under the water from the hose pipe and followed it every where I pointed it.
I do enjoy them splashing in the pool but it is not fair to have them in my garden , I am sure a pond and friends would be better . The chickens are teaching them the pecking order in the garden and as still young they are learning the hard way .
They do seem happy sun bathing and sitting in the shade and splashing about .
Cannot say they are to mesy at the moment as they stay at the back end of the garden .
Neighbour believes the RATs are back and coming from behind there back fence , rat poison going down their side .
had mice the cats brought in but not happy if the rats are back , breeding season and population explosion seem likely.
Flock good , Goldie seems a lot better and hope it was just a block throat . Big N is doing well but can not fortell the future on her .
egg count going up.
Next week on night shift again , this time vessels and trains to look after .
Not happy about it as the route to reduced supervisor and no gain.
looks like I will have to play my cards , wrong termology ,pretty tight to my chest on this one.
Cookie had only half an hour out for excersie as ran out of time.
SHMBO has been told about the D and D and you can guess the advice .
It was a lovelly day and have turned a dark colour .
Have to do some topless work in the garden so if any stories in papers later on in the week you can guess it was me.
Be safe and well and lead interesting lives and make the most of it.
Bob
Cheshire Chick
Longlasting Laner

Post by Cheshire Chick »

Oh Bob you really do have your hands full with so many to look after. I think that perhaps Daisy and Donald have landed on their webbed feet with you to look after them. I can't see them going anywhere else now, especially if you are moving and getting more land. It's amazing how quickly we can get attached to these creatures. Have fun, I am sure it is going to be a very interesting time for you and I look forward to more of your adventures.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi wellit was fun today.
Pool and hose pipe , good job I am not on a meter.
It has not taken D&D to realise that when I appear at the kitchen door or window , food is on the offering. The pair stand only feet away from the window and Donald quacks as loud as he can amongst the chickens.
Bully hens are still the topenanals .
Ducks v chickens .
1 ducks go for claws . Chickens go behind the head -chickens win .
Chickens can run faster to treats . But the ducks get spoilt .
Chickens cannot swim though they are willing to jump in for the treats , ducks are in their element . Ducks win.
Weight advantage to ducks.
Ducks reconise the bullys and keep clear .
Worst hen for temper at the moment is Simone sister , she is brody and hates everone including me.
Litalen is also brody but gets over it.
egg count is up .
waiting to see if I get a duck egg.
There is a possible pond in a rear garden near to SHMBO which may take the ducks. No fish in it .
I am pretty sure they will be re homed , I have said they are not for keeps , but they will only go to a good life that is for certain.
Big N is still here but canker not cleared up but not worse .
Goldie may not have canker but still being safe and giving her meds as well.
Naked neck Scramble noisy as ever and looking good .
Leg pecker now going for an part of my person even when sitting down relaxing . I think she hits below the belt.
Pasta , mealworms , mixedcorn cabbage and best of all frozen bag of sweet corn (every day now ) .Ducks have extra at the bottom of the pool ,Chickens hate it as they are not keen to stick heads under the water , well not far anyway . Some little darlings have a good try.
Weather is hot and lovelly and once I take the dog out they flock have my solid attention.
Painting up stairs will be done as much as can be , waitimg fpr plaster as it is not in shops at all due plants shut down and 2 weeks for kilns to heat up etc .
Yes interesting times.
Bank holiday Monday so Tues eveningnext week .
I was told that Southend on sea was ramed solid yesterday so much for social distancing . If it goes on like this it will be another lockdown , if not nationaly regionally.
Keep well and safe , it done till the fat lady sinks.
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , busy day cycled 20 plus miles this morning. Hosed thge ducks and filled pool and tray . Seems the drake is my pushy than the female . SHMBO has said they lay blue eggs.
They seemed to have settled in and keep away friom the bullies and quite happy to be with the friendly hens .
Plenty of eggs.
Have had a request for eggs for a church cafe that dish up food for various locals in the community .
Not sure that should be done as not a bussiness . Going to pay as I am not good hearted to give freebees .
Much the same , flock enjoying the sun.
Keep well and have a good weekend and good holiday as best you can.
Hope those all around the world are keeping safe.
Bob
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Ducks! bob you are a soft touch.... make sure your girls dont decide to dive in for treats at the bottom of the pool....
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi Sandy , yep that is me . To late the hens are guarding the pool. I was told to put food in the water so the ducks can get it . The drake is in with the hens when the sweet corn is out and hoovers them up as quick . the female is shy and keeps well clear . The sit at the back of garden and anywhere quiet away from the hens. they are suffering each other well and are locked up at night /evening together . Ducks are sleeping in the run at night . Do not seem worried about not being inside . They are safe from foxes and used to the dog barking next door . It maybe a terror but I am sure the foxes are not going to come around .
Big N is still out in garden looking after her self . Still giving Metrondazole .8ml twice a day.
Ran out of Meds Sunday had to wait till pm today for more .
Goldie is looking poorly . In the kitchen . feeding her sweet corn stuffed with a pellet . Once in her beak she swolls it . Given her squirts of water as well to make sure she drinks.
Back on the meds this afternoon . I filled container with water and gave her some of that as better than nothing . Meds had to be ordered on Sat and not in vets till today.
9 eggs , count going up.
Customers coming back so timing is good .
Weather is to hot I think for the flock and the ducks getting hosed and splashing and ducking in the pool making the ground soft so the are up to ankles scratching about .
Fridgr Magnet is still in kitchen another hen is on baytril as seems off colour but then picks up in the kitchen . I again think she is pulling a fast one . but keeping Goldie and Fridge Magnet company . They where out the front lawn in a run all afternoon , swapped them and put rabbit out for a stretch as not able to let out in the evening . He does get freedom in the lounge on sofa abd my double size bed .
He seems happy enough and comes for a cuddle when he feels like it.
Dog is spending more time in the ponds over the park than dhe ducks in the pool.
Apart from the sickies the rest are doing well . The hen with hardly any feathers is trying to grow them . I honestly thought that she was a Scramble all over her not just the neck. scramble I think is missing her mem ... Hope that she gets back with her soon . Though canker takes a long time to sort out if it ever does . Big N is seeming improving but like all things not 100 per cent sure on it . Big N has it in top part of the throat beak side . Goldie has it furter down I think.
Giving a little more then ,2ml per kilo to be extra careful.
Short week , but a long one and have to sleep some time during the day .
SHMBO thinks it funny that I HAVE TO WORK FOR A LIVING , I can say I DONT......
Well this could be the future so I will have to suck it up and I will get on with it .
Hope all had a good week end and holiday . Keep safe well .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi , A very up and down and down and up few days with the flock.
3 sick hens .
Big hen stopped eating and thought that she was on a down ward slide . she had been spending more time in KKitchen with F M Goldie and a sister that was poorly .
I was really thinking take her to the vets as ddid not want her suffering . She was put out the front garden with the three others after being given meds all round excepy FM she had treats and pasta .
I went in doors for a think and get some sweet corn frozen / tinned and any think else I could find .
I dropped the sweet corn on the grass in the pen and she RAN from the end nearest the road to the window end and started eating like a hoover .
Well I was amazed . I new her throat was blocked with Canker and that was the problem .
I sat on a bench at thr road end and looked at them . The corner of my eye I saw what looked like a lump of chicken left out to dry on the corner of the pen top.
I lent over and picked it off and it broke apart like a piece of cheese .
I thought strange (bird dropped it ? )
Through it in the drain in kerb .
I then realised it was the canker lump stuck in her throat . Picked her out and had a look down her throat , after I had washed my hands . The mass in her throat had gone and clear , hence she could swollow.Strill on the meds and seems improving . As always hoping for the best and fear the worst . She is out with the flock and I will check and let her go out on the grass again Sat.

Goldie was doing well but she has taken to the worse . I am feeding her , put in beak and she swolls the foor down but cannot pick it up from a bowl.
Same meds a Big N .
She has bugs which I see as a bad sign , but I can deal with them with powder and spray .
Still has fight in her so as long as |I can give her the meds and feed and water her I will not give up on her . Better later on this afternoon .
FM is a cuty and part of the house now not FAT at all which gives me a concern and not strong enough to stand up for her self .
The poorly sister is the one I believe will fly over the bridge . I have little idea what is up she is on Baytril and this afterrnoon I gave her metacam as I thought it may at least make her passing unpainful.
Still strong enough to resist me ,
Again she is the 4 year old mark that all hybrid working hens get to and rarely pass much further .

Well ducks are molting not sure how old a duck has to be to molt the first timee ,. Honestly believe they can not be 6 months old . But not a duck expert . Anyone know how old and when they are likely to layeggs .

9eggs today swaapped for 4 shepards pies M ansd S that has got to be a good deal 3 for 6 pounds .
day shifts next week after a good old fashion row. Nights then days then night shifts till end of June then the poo will hit fan and go everwhere.
Also have had another area tagged of to cover when holidays / sickness etc happens .
Sign of things to come .
In my younger /mid working life I would jump up and shout off side end up doing it and claim more money .
Today1s world and my age I do give a dam and do it for pay and that is it.
Not my fight anymore fpr jobs and pay etc .
If the youngster will not fight / protect themselves I certainly will not be . Support , follow but not lead .
So Here to 2020 .
A world changer .
Keep well everyone , it is not over yet so watch out for yourselves and those around you. , 6 FEET do not forget.
Bob
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

If I remember rightly and it is their first moult, it will be around 4-6months. The ducks will lay (drakes don't!!!!!!!), You will have to be careful as 1 duck to 1 drake is seriously tough on the duck. Drakes have no finesse when it comes to b onking and he will ravage the duck, she will go through hell.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Thank you , that makes the ducks about the right age as told .They are moulting a lot now , white feathers all over the garden.
Yes if he starts miss behaving I will fence them separately (or get some more ) …… When will Daisy start laying as I have no idea on them .
Big N is looking good but still has Canker . Goldie is still around and feeding and giving water . Not moving to much , bugs are being dealt with and she to add to troubles loosing feathers.
F M is just doing her own thing watching my ever move .
Unfortunately I was expecting it and did my best for her , The Sister that was spending her time in Kitchen with FM died on Sat morning between midnight and 4.00 am .
She died in her sleep as peacefully as possible . I had given her Metacam the evening before and I hoped it would help her . She was a good hen and will miss her company .
Rest of the flock are having long days (before 5.00 am to 9.00 pm ) youngsters anyway .
Ducks are happy especially when I put them in the pool and give them sweet corn and feed in a bowl on their own . I put food in the pool and 6 inch deep tray so they can get it without chickens annoying them . Not sure if the understand the feed treadles . They eat out of them when opened by me or chickens .
They still sleep out in the run near to a poop hole . Not cold and safe so they can please them selves.
Surprised the hens have not perched out side as well , but no high up perches like when Desmond was around .
11 eggs yesterday and in position now where not enough eggs to go round , which saves me storage costs ( ha , ha )
All good fun at work .
Be safe .
Bob
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

I would guess she could start laying once she has moulted.
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , concerned for Goldie , cannot seem to get rid of her bugs . DE her again wash her eyes , feed her as often as possible with water. She can move about but chooses not to . Moulting a bit and gold feathers are around. The moult can not be helping her .
She has Big N for company during the day , they are like little and large . FM is her full time attendant .
Ducks seem to be moulting well and eating with the aid of the hens a kilo bag of sweet corn frozen. tinned sweet corn for Goldie stuffed with pellet . she has the canker in her throat and has trouble swallowing . She does but needs some time between (at times ) to get another piece down .
Big N is up and down . Looks good one day then cankered up the next . Going to order more meds tonight / morning as do not want to run out .
Rest of the flock o k so money for eggs slowly coming in from various places .
Cookie the rabbit gets the front pen in the afternoon and then an evening with me on sofa /bed . Good as gold and loves the attention , he comes over for a stroke when he wants to.
Fatty the Polo `Staff` went for a late evening walk and we watched the courting couple at the top of the mountain (hill ) and the London Sky line with the sun down behind it . It was good to get out away from the troubles of the world , work and home.
Fortunately have been doing all the time so not gone mental , maybe because I already was.
Well keep safe ,
Be like me extra careful .
Bob
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi all , a quick question , Chickens don't fly far .
Ducks do , wild ones anyway.
Should I clip a wing on each duck so as to stop them flying off .
If they went and flew away and lived a natural life , I would not be unhappy other than I would always be thinking what happened to them .
They are flapping their wings a lot and Donald yesterday showed some interest in the chickens if you know what I mean . The chickens will soon be keeping him a wide berth.
more later .
Bob
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

Sorry to hear Goldie is unwell Bob, and Big N as well. Both with canker - what are you treating them with? Fingers crossed and touch wood I've never had this. Have you got any harkermectin for Goldie's bugs? I assume they are lice rather than mites.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Hi metradonzale or something spelt like it. Correct spelling can be supplied .
No but have to order some .
cat spray and DE .
She (Goldie ) seemed more alert this morning .
Big N is coping well.
Ordered a double size bottle of med yesterday so as not run out again.
Yes the white small running around her (and me ) , She is moulting as well so got a lot to tend with . First is the canker as that will kill her in the end if not resolved .
Simone sister is still broody and flies around with the right face ache when I take her off the NEST . Even the ducks keep clear of her .. Litalen is sitting on the eggs as much as possible but does get off when no eggs about , dust bathing and eating / drinking when she feels like it .
Keep well Karen .
Bob