Thick skin on paint.

Share projects, share problems, share tips amongst each other.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Thick skin on paint.

Post by Spreckly »

Today I decided to touch up some paintwork on a bare patch on the back door. The paint is around three years old. I eventually got the lid off with the aid of WD40 (what would we do without it?), and a large screwdriver. I found a very thick skin on the paint. After stabbing a few holes in the paint, I managed to get a brushfull of decent paint, but the skin is so tough that I have so far been unable to remove it. Has anyone any ideas, please? I need to touch up the garage door once the weather is suitable, and shall need to use the paint.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Thick skin on paint.

Post by lancashire lass »

I presume you know there's plenty of usable paint left under the thick skin to paint the garage door. How about using a Stanley knife (the blades are disposable)? It might be easier to cut the skin off from the can walls rather than from the centre out?
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

I have to agree with Lancashire Lass remove the skin from the surface (cutting with a knife if required) then stir the paint thoroughly. If there are still the odd lumpy bits left just sieve it through a paint filter or an old pair of tights. It should be as good as new and ready to go.
"Not all those who wander are lost"
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Too late now and I'm not convinced it would work, but I saw the suggestion that if there is paint left you should hammer the lid well in and store the tin upside-down. Then when you opened it the skin would be on the bottom.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Mo wrote: 15 Mar 2023, 10:58 Too late now and I'm not convinced it would work, but I saw the suggestion that if there is paint left you should hammer the lid well in and store the tin upside-down. Then when you opened it the skin would be on the bottom.
)t' yes, that's what I remember but I rarely ever had a tin with plenty of paint still left over to use later.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thanks for the advice folks. I haven't attempted to remove the skin yet. Try as I might, I cannot get the lid down evenly. One side goes down with the use of a hammer and the other side is not quite sealed.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Managed to remove the skin, and my son has got the lid on properly for me. What would I do without thinners!