New to chicken keeping

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
OldForum
Lively Laner

New to chicken keeping

Post by OldForum »

chrisHB
Hi! Everyone, we have had our ex-battery hens for 3 weeks now and we are amazed at how quickly they seem to have settled down. Still looking slightly bald but improving every day. We were fascinated to see how they seem to know instinctively what chickens are supposed to do..(dust baths etc) even though they've never seen dirt before!! They are laying well and the egg quality is excellent. They LOVE pasta and any kind of bread. They also rush to the gate when we approach and peck around our feet with no sign of fear at all. We have 5 birds and all except one lay their eggs in the nest boxes, the other just drops hers wherever she's standing!! They also put themselves to bed in the coop, from day one, at dusk. We have got some really useful tips from reading previous topics, thanks to all.

Matt
Nice one Chris.

Good luck and all the best.

AnnaB
Well done Chris HB

I was also amazed how mine settled in. They still wait for me at night to shine the torch onto the perches before they jump!
Don't worry if the feathers don't come back straight away. One of mine still has a small bald patch on her neck after 9 months. (She does have a long neck and am a bit worried about her as she laid a 88gm egg the other day)!!