what do red mites look like?

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
frankie2010
Lively Laner

what do red mites look like?

Post by frankie2010 »

Hi,
I've had my hens 3 weeks today and have found this site extremely useful - so thank you very much to everyone. The hens all seem very happy and settled and are laying brilliantly. I can't believe how interesting, affectionate and fun they are.
I think I'll do the Diatom paste idea right away - so far all I've done is sprinkle it in the nest boxes. Obviously I need to do take more preventative steps!

But would like to know how big are red mites, and am I bound to notice them as soon as they arrive?
Also, the hen house I bought was expensive crap with the perches in the wrong position and screwed down so tightly I've had to cut them out, buy more wood and put new ones in better positions. (Woodcrafts in Norfolk - wouldn't bother with them, BTW.) So there are nooks and crannies - will the paste idea work then, and how often will I need to apply it?
Thanks in advance!

Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Re: what do red mites look like?

Post by Grannyof4 »

frankie2010
Lively Laner

Post by frankie2010 »

Thank you very much for that google reference. Why didn't I think of that?
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

They look like specks of dust that move, they are a PITA to get rid of.

Many pages on this part of the forum about them though.
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum
Vikki W
Learner Laner

Post by Vikki W »

Jees they are a pain but you should be ok if you follow the preventative advice on the forum and change your bedding regularly in the nest box and roost area. I too have what looked like a lovely coop but with loads of hidey holes and the roost bars far too close but it's a major hassle trying to get the mites out!!
foghornleghorn2
Legendary Laner

Post by foghornleghorn2 »

We have adapted a plastic dog kennel for our chooks, it strips down in a couple of minutes and can be jet washed, no hidey holes for the little sile}
[center]Vir prudens non contra ventum mingit[/center]

Calm down dear ! It's only a forum
manda

Post by manda »

frankie2010 wrote:Hi,
.............am I bound to notice them as soon as they arrive?

You may not notice them intially and often they can be there in small numbers and don't make their presence felt but if you have an itch after you see to the chooks or egg numbers go down or they don't want to go in the house...look for those little ...darlings....they're probably there!!!

and if I haven't said it already...welcome :-D
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny