bumper bits.

Discuss, share and chat about all things relating to keeping Chickens including health issues
melons
Legendary Laner

bumper bits.

Post by melons »

I also read messages on another hen forum, things have moved on in the world of chickens, as everyone seems to be putting these Bumper bits or Pecking rings on their hens, they look awful :cry: I'd rather use purple spray or other anti pecking products if I get problems, this has left me a bit paranoid now, everyone seems to resort to these devices when they are experiencing pecking, I always found in the past that the girls aren't always dignified & sort themselves out eventually, god I hope I don't have to eat my words here, mine only came on sunday, they've been through quite enough in the battery farm, without me attaching a bumper bit, I feel quite strongly about it too. I've also read they are no longer legal. Only one of my girls is naughty, she is the most moth eaten & smallest, she pecks the biggest fluffy one, who is incredibly sweet natured, once she does it, 2 others also peck her, but no feathers are pulled out or blood drawn, they've barely got the beak equipment for that, poor girls. Does anyone know anything about these horrible things, so I can have my say so with a bit of knowledge behind me. Mel
Cheers
mel x

b_cos_1_can

Post by b_cos_1_can »

i have no idea what these things are thankfully! they sound awful!

id say if leaving them to it has always worked in the past, it will happen again!
im new to chickens and the 2 things i was warned about (by our wonderful wendy) was that they will behave like this to find their pecking order and it will pass soon enough.....and that chickens are addictive!!
shes been right on both counts when it comes to my hens!!

good luck, maybe someone else will write back if they know what these things are!

:-D
wendy

Post by wendy »

don't even go there Mel.
There are always other ways of sorting out behaviour problems without resorting to gadgets. This is the behaviourist in me talking now, the same applies to dogs etc. etc Spike collars and electric ones are illeagal, but you can still buy them.
The smallest is nearly always the worse at beating up. I think it is a case of 'it's my turn now' they will settle
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
bettysue
Lively Laner

Post by bettysue »

hi i've had to seperate my two because one has drawn blood and wont leave the other alone i thought it could be lice or mites causing the problem. I am going to try some products that have been suggested but i wouldnt use any thing as drastic as you have described! they are addictive we are looking for two more!
wendy

Post by wendy »

Hi Bettysue.
I have heard something called Stockholm Tar [I think] works well.
Wendy

Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I've got a very old, unopened tin of Stockholm tar, and was wondering if I should put it on one of mine who has a bald patch on her shoulder.
Isn't it horribly sticky, what if she tries to clean it off and eats it.
melons
Legendary Laner

bumper bits again.

Post by melons »

What has shocked me more than anything with this is..... people seem to have no idea how to put these foul looking things on their hens ( & shouldn't be in my opinion), then they just seem to leave them on, without knowing when to take them off, there doesn't seem to be a hen expert putting people right on this, & it just puts the fear of god into me that people are taking advice from each other without any external input of what should & shouldn't be done from anyone in the know. I just wanted a bit more info, to maybe be able to put people right on this, it just sounds sooo wrong :( but i'm no expert, I've just kept a few girls over the years & have just got a few more after a long break.
I have also heard of something called Avipor or something like that to prevent pecking, mine certainly don't need any intervention yet... & I hope they don't, they just peck the big quiet one, Mrs Miggins, who doesn't seem to be ajusting too well to the great outdoors, I'm not sure what will become of her, she is very quiet & dum struck, but is eating a bit, & drinking, but not like the others who have ferocious appetites. Any advice on how to perk her up will be very welcome, The battery hen welfare lady said they had just come off a false moult. I'm going to try meal worms tonight, they seem interested in things on the floor already & scrat about a bit :-D but are scared when I scatter their stuff about initially. Oh bless, we'll get there.
I've got them on dry mash, chicken spice, sweet corn & other bits & bobs.
Cheers
mel x
PetHeaven
Lively Laner

Pecking

Post by PetHeaven »

I did not try any of these gadgets or peck prevention type sprays and pastes. I simply had to separate the pecked bird in the end, as she was going down hill fast. She recovered very well, although was unhappy at being separated. (see her pics on the photo page-before and after). Integrating her took time but she formed a lovely bond with one other chicken and went on to great health.
When is a chicken not a chicken?....when its a battery hen!
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Hi Melons

When my girls were moulting, they were very lethargic and not that interested in food, so maybe she just needs a little time??

I don't know about you, but mine adore sweetcorn and raisins, regardless of whether they're feeling ill??

I know people use poultry spice to pep their chickens up, but I personally mix up every bit of scrap food for a treat and they all go mental - potatoes, veggies, lentils, garlic, rice, pasta - then mix a bit of grit and codliver oil in there - codliver oil does wonders for their feathers when coming out of a moult!?

Oh - and don't like the idea of those bumper bits - hmmmmmmmmm
seahorse
Legendary Laner

pecking

Post by seahorse »

Hi there, I wouldnt go down the road of stockholm tar as its carcinogenic if ingested. The only time I used it was on a fence to deter the donkeys from chewing it and it worked. It has a very strong smell and is like black treacle. I think that a chicken's skin would be too sensitive for such a product. All the best , Annie.
Looove chucks!
likeastarbaby
Learner Laner

Post by likeastarbaby »

I find these postings to be quite ignorant. The bumpa bits look harsh to the eye, but they cause no discomfort to the chicken, which can go about its daily business and comfortably eat, drink and preen, but cannot peck other chickens.

Leaving them to 'get on with it' and hoping it will go away is irresponsible to say the least. Will you wait until the pecking progresses to drawing blood, or until other members of the pecking order turn on the individual to wipe out any weakness?

Fair enough you dont want to use a bumpa bit, but you will find the only sensible alternatives will be to seperate the chicken, or get rid of it.

If anyone wants to use a bumper bit, I can direct you to the appropriate pages.
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

)gr:
Jackie xx
Orfy
Legendary Laner

Post by Orfy »

Allotment http://taylorsplot.blogspot.com/
Orfy Blog (Food'n'Stuff) http://orfy.blogspot.com/
1xMaran 1xRIR 6xWarrens 2xMuts
wendy

Post by wendy »

)gr: )gr: )gr:
Thanks for the offer...but no thanks. We seem to be managing without 'implements'. Of which I have heard if not put on correctly have broken hens beaks.

likeastarbaby
Learner Laner

Post by likeastarbaby »

You can break a hens beak from holding their mouths open when giving medication, but you would still do that, wouldnt you?

If researched properly and conducted carefully, no harm will come to the chicken. Unlike its poor victim if nothing is done.