Got a hedgepig living with me!

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Re: Got a hedgepig living with me!

Post by jannie »

How lovely Steve.... {hug}...
we have them nesting under our shed. )c( we could hear them scratching the underneath of the floor as they walk around...we thought it might have been rats so hubby lifted the floorboards yesterday and there they were..mummy and 3 babies...funny we never see them in the garden, so they must go out to hunt... +confused+ ...

But, I still stand by what we said about seeing a hedgehog out in the day...not the evening as in your case... but morning - afternoon.....they will only wander about in the day if they are sick..and if it's lungworm they will die within days if not treated.....

Rest easy Steve ...no rescuer would have removed her without doing some basic checks to see if she was lactating.... )t'
Meredith
Longlasting Laner

Post by Meredith »

Oh that's wonderful news, I am so glad that she is doing okay. I would love hedgehogs to set up home in my garden but they don't seem to find it appealing.The piggies that have been released here have never been seen again {cry}
Sunny Clucker welcome in Barnsley.
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

That is one of the two that were out hunting last night at about 10pm. To give you an idea of size the table leg it is next to is approx 1.25" or 32mm each side. Mummy was out hunting on her own.
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

That is adorable Steve.. :-D ...It's hard to believe that these beautiful creatures are on the endangered species list..... {cry}
LittleBrownFrog

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Fab pictures! My friend has a 'nest' of hedgehogs under her floorboards at the moment :shock:
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

Lovely piccies, Steve.
Many years ago, we had a nest of piggies under the rabbit hutch. Heard them rustling one evening. When mum bought the babies out, it was in the evening and she used to call to them across the garden. Unfortunately, at the time, we had young kittens who were very interested in the baby piggies and after a few days of being pestered by our kittens, mummy hedgepig, relocated, taking her babies with her. I was quite sad, as I would like to have seen the grow up, and so would my children, who were quite young, at the time.
Enjoy your little visitors Steve. Keep us updated on their progress.
lorna
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

There are 5 babies - all out last night rooting under my carport, I'll put some pics of 'em up laters.
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Post by lizziedoggarden »

AWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How SWEET!!!!
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

These are the other 4 around 9.45pm last night or the one before.
LittleBrownFrog

Beautiful :-D
susiewong50
Lively Laner

Post by susiewong50 »

{hug} Aww,how sweet {hug}
sue x
Steve the Gas

Post by Steve the Gas »

Update,

I was pottering around and noticed a few blue and green bottles hanging about.
Sure enough - something starting to decompose, had a search round and found a dead baby headgepig +confused+
Nature I spose, didn't think all 5 would survive.
LittleBrownFrog

{cry} poor baby. Are you still seeing the others around?
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

we had hedgehogs at the bottom of our garden a couple of years ago, trouble was when we let Paddy the springer out for his bedtime pee he used to find it and carefully carry it back in and leave it in the middle of the lounge! Don't know if he thoought the hog was cold or just another crazy toy mummy had bought for him. Why do dogs bring things in but don't take them back out ? Hedgehogs are cute but they certainly aint cuddly . OUCH
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful