ferret kits

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
sweetpea
Lively Laner

ferret kits

Post by sweetpea »

my two beautiful gills,scamper and sandy gave birth to there first (and last) litter of kits almost two weeks ago now.both mums and babys are doing great (im so proud).the thing is they decided to give birth in the top part of there hutch,and im worryed that when the kits start moving around they will have problems with the ramp that leads to the bottom.should i shut it off and keep mums and kits to just the top half-which i didnt really want to do as the top half is no where near as big as the bottom and i feel abit crule confineing them,but id hate for one of the babys to fall and hurt its self.
AL37
Admin Moderator

Re: ferret kits

Post by AL37 »

Hi Sweetpea,
I have never had ferrets although I have considered it many times. I know Sara has had some maybe she can help.
Al. )t'
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
Dinchy
Legendary Laner

Post by Dinchy »

Hi Sweetpea,
We have ferrets, but have never had kits so I can't help you there I'm afraid.....but would love to see some photos pretty :-D please
sweetpea
Lively Laner

Post by sweetpea »

thanks al.you should definatly think about getting ferrets.they are wonderful pets to have.i love mine to bits.if handled right and cared for they are so loving and playful-i dont think they ever grow up lol :-D .i'll wait to see if sara replys,if not i'll try to pm her. )t'
Sara

Post by Sara »

Hi sweatpea :-D

Ive never had kits before so i really dont know from experience but if it were me i think i would either try and move them to the bottom of thier cage or if thats not possible close them in at the top depending on how big the top part is.... Is it very high? Prehaps you could post a pic? If you are really worried about them falling and hurting themselves then put a very thick layer of shavings topped up with a thick layer of straw on the bottom of the cage and that should cushion thier landing.... )t'
Good luck, Im quite envious, I would love another ferret.... envy}}
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
sweetpea
Lively Laner

Post by sweetpea »

thanks for the advice sara )t' .the top part is about 4 foot long,with about a foot drop to the next floor.i dont really want to move them just yet,as eveything ive read has said not to touch them till there abit older.if you think the top part will be big enough for them all for a week or two till they find ther legs i'll do that.if not i guess another idea would be to put some wire up eiter side of the ramp so they cant fall either side,then do what you said and cushion any falls with something soft.
i would get another ferret if i was you,i wouldnt be without mine :-D .
if you have any more advice i would love to hear it.ive read loads on the net,but some of it can be abit conflicting,and its always good to hear first hand how others care for there pets. )t'
Sara

Post by Sara »

The wire up the side of the ramp sounds a good idea, I would be reluctant to confine the adults for any length of time as they need space to run around and the kits will be wanting to explore very soon..... If you can put some wire up the side of the ramp then i would think that would do it, but keep an eye on them when they are going up and down the first few times..... :-D

Sounds to me that you are pretty sorted with them )t' I would love some more but Marc has other ideas..... )gr: Maybe one day, It took him a while to realise i had gotten a cockeral so he probably wouldnt notice at all... well, for a while anyway )grin2(

Sara XxX
sweetpea
Lively Laner

Post by sweetpea »

a little run,tucked away down the bottom of the garden......he'll never notice lol
Sara

Post by Sara »

)c( )c(

Sara XxX
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

You might find that if you move them, mum moves them back :)
I think the 'cushion' under the shelf sounds a good'un.
I've not had kits but I do have 4 monsters!
sweetpea
Lively Laner

Post by sweetpea »

sorry i havent replyed in a while,but been really busy and just havent had the time :-D .my ferrets are little monsters as well -always getting into what they shouldnt be }hairout{ .ive made a sort of wall,so the mums can get over easy enough to get to the bottom half of the run,but the kits cannot.the soft landing os it place though,as it not be long befor they can get over if there anything like there mums :-D .There all doing great and the babys are growing so quick.i just cant believe how much the mums can eat....there eating me out of house and home at the moment.....but there well worth it )t'
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Where are the photo's? We're all waiting to say "Awwwwww {hug} "
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway