Make A Hole ..Make A Difference.

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Make A Hole ..Make A Difference.

Post by jannie »

Hedgehogs need to travel several kilometres a night to survive ..and this was the message that the Hedgehog Street Garden at the Hampton Court Flower was trying to get across and with all the publicity it looks like it's working. {hog}

There is an easy way we can all help the hedgehogs to be able to travel where they need to between gardens and that is by making a small 5" hole in our fences.

If you would like to join in you can register HERE and have your garden mapped.

If you do, it would be great if you could let us know on this thread. :-D

You can also share the link on Facebook and get your friends to join in. {hog} )t'
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Re: Make A Hole ..Make A Difference.

Post by fabindia »

Great idea. We were surrounded by fields but they have been built on by a national developer. I have no problems with people needing houses but it seems to me the developers don't have a clue. No wildlife corridors and the gardens they provide are just sterile handkerchief sized wildernesses.
Michael
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I have several small gaps under the wooden fence between us and a one acre uninhabited garden. But one particular one that looks like something's been coming
though.Thinking it may be a rat I've been blocking it up with rocks (pointless really)
then after reading this, I registered my "hole" & unblocked it - just incase!
And Voila!! yesterday I found a hedgehog on the lawn )c( {hog}
so happy! I'm going to make a hedgy hole into the netted veg patch so he can
feast on the slugs!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Fantastic Kitla !!! )c( {hog} )c(

A friend of mine has got together with her neighbours, on a newish housing estate where all the gardens are surrounded by solid wooden fences, and they have all had our little hedgehog friends in their gardens since making holes ...spread the word it's working. )t'
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Iv registered our garden. :-D {hog}. Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Nice one Kitla )t' )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Thought I'd bump this thread as it's the time of the year when we tend to give the fences a lick of preservative and repair any broken bits.. If you haven't already done so, please make a hole 13cm x 13cm at the bottom of your fence for the hedgehogs to wander. Many people have seen their first hedgehog in their garden since this campaign started. {hog} )t'

And a reminder whilst you're tidying the garden, please check for hedgehogs before doing any strimming. {hog}