hedgy is back!

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: hedgy is back!

Post by kitla »

oh no! I hope that's not the case with ours, he looked quite podgy on my camera.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi kitla

600 grams is the minimum weight they should be.
I think it's mainly those born late which tend to have problems.
If you've been feeding, I'd have thought she or he would be OK.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

OH DEAR! disaster strikes for poor hedgy, he got caught in the cage rat-trap I'd set by the chicken run. I found him in there hissing at me this morning!
He looks unharmed but as a precaution I've put him in a cardboard box full of aubiose & straw in the garage, he has food & water in there.If he's active this evening I'll let him go, but he doesnt look so fat (unless its a different hedghog) so I think he needs feeding up.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

He didnt like the box, kept escaping! On advice of the local rescue I weighed him - he's 549 gms, close enough to the 600gms he needs to be for hibernation, then I took him to next door neighbour & we put him in her hedghog box amongst piles of beach leaves, where he was probably living anyway. Sleep well hedgy.
--Immanuel Kant
Richard

Post by Richard »

Hope he or she's OK.

If not, ring The Hedgehog Preservation Society and they will give you thephone number of the nearest place for help..

There's a link in the Forum right hand column near the bottom.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Well its that time again! I caught a rat yesterday, so I put out some food and the camera
last night to see if that was the last one or if there were still more to get. What a nice surprise - no rats appeared but this little fella did (click on pic for video)
Looking rather small from its hibernation though, I'll definately start feeding it again now.
--Immanuel Kant
Richard

Post by Richard »

Absolute magic Kitla )like(

Richard
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

Yay! :)
Bumped into mine last night.
Was checking the pond for frogs and don't know who was more surprised, me or the hedgy. Neighbours must think I'm batty, apologising to a hedgehog, close to midnight :)
Richard

Post by Richard »

You are a million miles from being batty, Hedgehogs need us more than ever :-D :-D

You're doing a grand job.

Richard :-D )t' {hog} {hog}
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

HedgeHugger wrote:Yay! :)
Neighbours must think I'm batty, apologising to a hedgehog, close to midnight :)

I was sat here near the window today and the postwoman came running down the drive chattting to my cat. She quite often sings.
Not midnight though.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard

Post by Richard »

I think my hoggy is back, setting up the camera tonight )t' )t'

Richard
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

We have hogs in our garden but I'm yet to see one this year however one of them left me a little message on the patio yesterday!! I tend to see them early in the morning as the alarm goes off at 4am for hubby to go to work, so we are in bed most nights before they come out. We also have them on the allotment but they have a bad habit of crossing the road there & most of the cars exceed the 30mph limit, gggrrrggghhh. Anyway have started to put the food out for them & hope the local cats don't get in the new feeding station my hubby has made for them over winter.
Richard

Post by Richard »

4am ! That's keen !

My Hoggy is back, I set the camera up last night (very poor photo, will try for a good one), so it's fox and hoggy feeding for the next few months!

Although I have fields, hedgerow, woods on three sides plus a stream, I'm about 150 meters away from a main road. Road kill is a big problem, most of all, a worry.

Hedgehogs are now in the top 10 of British endangered species, so all respect to those who endeavour to protect and increase their numbers.

Richard
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Well I've actually seen my first hog of the year in our garden this morning at 4.35am!!! Sooooo pleased,it has made my day but then its only 6.14am now!!!!!
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Couple of sightings of the hogs during the last week & the cat food all goes every night & now that the feeding station is cat proof we know its the hogs eating it all!! We did put the camera trap up & got one picture which wasn't great but we'll keep going!