Nestboxes

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Re: Nestboxes

Post by wildlifemad »

I put the tv on Saturday to check the nestbox & what a surprise, she had 7 eggs!! When she was nest building she made a great cup in the centre of the nest but she has decided to lay all the eggs on the edge!!!! On Sunday there were 8 eggs & it is still like that now & she is brooding them now so probably 10 days ish we could have chicks.
On a sadder note we have Blackbirds nesting in the honeysuckle at the top of the garden but the Magpie has been around & yesterday when I came back in the car both Blackbirds were sat by the honeysuckle looking bewildered & then I found a dead chick, so looks like the Magpie had all the chicks as both adults are out & about together. I suppose its nature but not nice to witness.
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

Sad about the blackbirds, but likely they will try again. We had several broods last year from the same set of parents.
Nature is wonderful, but can also seem so harsh to us. Part of the overall fascination though I guess.
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Well, its all ended in tears in the nestbox. She abandoned them a few days ago but they were overdue to hatch so we are assuming they weren't viable. My only thought is she left them for a whole day during incubation when it was quite cool outside & they probably chilled then. It's a shame as the male was really attentive bringing her food regularly. We are going to clear it out just in case anything else decides to nest in it. That's nature for you, winners and losers.