Nestboxes

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Nestboxes

Post by wildlifemad »

We have a nestbox above our kitchen window with a camera in it.It becomes very addictive watching on the tv!! Blue & Great Tits have been checking it out for a while but it was still empty.We have been away for the weekend & I have just checked the camera an hour ago to discover lots of moss in there & then a Great Tit flew in! So pleased as it wasn't used last year & the year before it had Great Tits that we just saw hatched & then came back off holiday to see them fledge the next day,5 fledged out of 10 hatched so not bad!
Looking forward to watching from beginning to end this time, fingers crossed!
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Nestboxes

Post by KarenE »

How fantastic! We had high hopes for ours a few years ago, and so did a couple of blue tits who spent a while checking it out until they discovered our cat sitting on top of it swinging his paw near the entrance. It never got used. He died earlier this year but it seems our new cat is equally acrobatic and has already been up there peering through the hole, so I daresay it willl stay empty again. How sad, but how great that you'll see great tits laying, tending and fledging! )t'
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

If you can move it a bit higher up it may still get used,its still early. We've got nestboxes on the allotment & last year put a new one up (hubby makes them!) no kidding within 10 mins the Blue tits were checking it out & ended up using it. I went to the allotment yesterday & we have 4 Robin eggs in a plant pot! We also have a Robin at home who feeds out of our hand whether it will all summer is another matter. I find it an honour that all the birds choose to eat us out of house & home!! It costs us more (with cat food for the hogs) than when we had 2 cats!!!!
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

when I moved to my house in 2002, there was (still is) a pergola at the bottom of the garden. I hung up 2 cast iron Japanese lanterns with the idea of using night lights and somewhere to sit of an evening (until I discovered it was mosquito central!) It wasn't long after I noticed one of the lanterns was stuffed with tiny twigs and little blue tits had nested in there {hug}
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

this year, when i get around to it, I will build and site a set of sparrow nest boxes. they used to nest in our old rotten eves but sadly I had them replaced with some shiny UPVC ones so they were denied their nesting spot.
we still get our blackbirds nesting in a bush thing at the end of the garden as well.
Bah Humbug
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Just thought I would post an update on our Great Tits in the nestbox with the camera. The female has now been roosting in the box for the last 3 nights, from previous experience of watching this she will start laying eggs any day now hopefully!! Usually one a day & then she will start brooding them once she has laid them all.We have everything crossed!
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Well at 6.30am today I watched the Great Tit lay her first egg! Best television I've seen in weeks only trouble is it becomes addictive viewing now!!
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

)like(
wildlifemad wrote:Well at 6.30am today I watched the Great Tit lay her first egg! Best television I've seen in weeks only trouble is it becomes addictive viewing now!!
Bah Humbug
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

We have three nesting boxes at right angles to our living room window. This year, for the first time we have sparrows popping in and out of one of them, and blue tits using the other.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

We have one nestbox in our garden left by the previous owners and as yet nothing has decided to use it as home. They do however keep taking bits and pieces into the Hawthorn hedge that goes down one side of our garden, perhaps they think it is safer with all those spikes.
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

The update on my camera nestbox is that the Great Tit has laid 9 eggs & has been incubating them for approx a week so hopefully within the next week we should have some youngsters!!! It has stopped us trying to do any work preparing the next part of garden makeover as its near to the box but its a small price to pay to watch them! Its turned colder now as well so may be buying live mealworms in a week or so to help them!!!!
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

An update on the Great tits in the camera nestbox...6am today the female was moving around & I managed to see 1 chick!! 7am we had 4 chicks & 8am I can count 6 so hopefully 3 more to hatch! Fascinating to watch them, the female ate one of the empty shells so not sure if she ate them all. Dad has already been in with something (couldn't make it out) but it was too big so they both kept eating bits off it till it was small enough for one of the chicks. Ain't nature great!!
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

Compulsive viewing :)

I watch a few webcams that have nesting birds, mainly peregrines, but there is a family of Tawny Owls with 4 young uns and a couple of osprey nests.
They grow so quickly, and then one day they are gone, so sad but happy at the same time :)

Here's hoping they all grow. Would be rather ace to watch your own :)
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Nature is wonderful and on my wish list will be a camera to watch the birds nesting.
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Gwenoakes, I'm not sure if you have an Aldi near where you live but once or twice a year they sell a complete kit of nestbox & camera with all the leads you need. The box perhaps could be better quality but its a start. I think they usually sell for about £40 but if they have loads left they will reduce them, last year I got one for £24! You can go online & see what offers are coming up & I believe you can actually order the offers with free delivery.

HedgeHugger, the camera is very addictive viewing but wonderful to watch how the parents attend to the chicks. I watch a few webcams, I like Loch of Lowes & Loch Garten Ospreys,the Loch Garten Osprey was sat on the nest yesterday surrounded by snow!!

Will keep you updated how the Great Tits progress, as of 6pm yesterday we still think there are 6, 2 eggs still visible & a possible dead chick tucked in the side of the cup.