Nestboxes

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Re: Nestboxes

Post by HedgeHugger »

I used to watch the Loch of the Lowes webcams too :)
but these days it's GlasLyn and the Dyfi cams in Wales.

Simon Kings webby has the Tawny Owls, amongst other cams.

Sure I read somewhere that the tits need 1000's of caterpillars to bring up a brood, good luck to them :)
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Update on Great tit chicks. All eggs have now gone , I have still only managed to count 6 chicks as they are all on top of each other but I now don't think there is a dead one in the cup I think its just nesting material! Hopefully within a couple of days when they've grown a bit I should be able to count them properly! Elsewhere in the garden, I bought some live mealworms yesterday, they go crazy for them!!! Blackbirds are flying at the window & the Robin is still coming to my hand for food & it just got better to have live food!! Can't get a thing done if you are in the kitchen!! Oh well if it helps a few chicks fledge its worth it! Last year a Robin bought his/her 3 chicks to be fed with live mealworms!!
I'll go & get back in my straight jacket now,bye bye!!!!!!
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks for that info re Aldi, will keep an eye open.
LOL to straight jacket.
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Well yesterday I managed to see all 9 chicks with mouths wide open, amazing how quickly they grow,the parents are very attentive so all the signs are good for healthy chicks.Mum has been keeping them warm alot today & a good job as its really cool here.
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Update on Great tit chicks is that over the weekend we seem to have lost 3 chicks so we now have 6, there were 2 that looked smaller than the others, its sad but its nature, survival of the fittest. The worry is we haven't really seen Dad much & yesterday I didn't see or hear him at all.Mum is doing a good job but is feeding them sunflower hearts which aren't great. We have live mealworms but she doesn't seem to find them.Fingers crossed for them all, they've made it through the 1st week & you can see their feathers starting to form.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Like you say, survival of the fittest. Hopefully the remaining chicks will survive and live to nest with you next year.
Our nest box that I didn't think anything was using, is being used. As yet not sure by what, but will keep an eye out, although it is not in an area which is easily seen from the house.
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Hi Gwenoakes,glad your nestbox is being used, you'll have to do a steak-out to see who's using it!!!
Dad wasn't around at all yesterday but Mum is still doing a great job & we still have 6 thriving, now starting to preen a little as well. It's tough to watch these things sometimes but I just remind myself that if there was no camera in there I would have no idea of what was happening in there. Still got fingers crossed!
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

)like(
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

We are now down to 4 chicks but Mum is still doing a sterling job on her own. I think she has a bit of OCD as she pushes & prods the poor chicks about to keep the nest as clean as possible!! They should be fledging any day now but don't look ready yet,possibly due to Mum having to feed them all on her own.
Elsewhere in the garden, we have got Blackbird, Dunnock & House Sparrow young all around now learning the ropes!!
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Well I now have empty nest syndrome!!! Checked the camera yesterday at 6.15am & the 3 chicks were still in the box but fluttering around. I checked it again at 7.10am & they'd all gone!!!! So good luck to the 3 that survived & stayed in the nest a week longer than normal, sterling work done by mum as a single parent to get 3 to fledging stage. She can have a well earned rest in the near future when they stop harassing her for food!!!
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I hope Mum stays around yours so you can still see their progress.
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

I have just read this post I started last year & how it shows how far behind things are this year. We have Great tits again nest building in the box so look forward to the highs & lows again! It was touch & go for a while as I had replaced an open fronted box to one with a hole up by the greenhouse which I can see from the kitchen window but it has no camera & they were actively checking that one last week but have now decided on the one with camera thankfully. Its amazing to watch them bring in the material & then dive at it (the only way I can describe it!!) to get it into all the corners.In the 3 days they have been doing this the centre (cup) is always kept clear so you can still see the bottom of the box, so interesting to see how they build it because last year we missed most of the building as we were away for a weekend. Trouble is now its becoming addictive viewing again!! Will keep you posted!
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I was given a camera kit for xmas but havent set it up yet (all those wires put me off). I've now bought a new box. I thought if I set the box up with an open front - as a robin/wren box, then it would allow enough light in so I dont have to use the leds in the little camera & upset any birds that use it (which they probably wont!)
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Our box as yet is uninhabited, but like you say everything behind this year, although the Blackbirds have been taking old grass stems off my grasses before I gave them a haircut, but that was the other week when it was a bit warmer.
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Just a little update, the nest is complete & the female has been roosting each night for a week. Can't work out if there are any eggs, she sleeps on the edge of the nest which would suggest that there are eggs but they cover them up until they start brooding them so can't really see properly. The last twice we have watched, once she started roosting in the box she started laying. The wait continues!!