Help! trying to identify a bird

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Help! trying to identify a bird

Post by Grannyof4 »

I am trying to identify a bird which comes into the garden. It is not a daily visitor. I am fairly sure it is a small bird of prey but searched my book to no avail. It is about the size of a small pigeon. It has a grey head and back/wings with a pale pinky/brown front. It comes and sits on one of the feeding stations but doesn't appear to actually eat. Last time I saw it, it was sat on a stone at ground level and looked to be eating flesh. My thoughts are possibly a sparrowhawk but can't fit the colouring.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Re: Help! trying to identify a bird

Post by Grannyof4 »

Managed to find some more images and I think it is a sparrow hawk.
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

Even though it sounds like you've worked it out yourself.... RSPB have a bird identifier on their site.
https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildl ... fy-a-bird/
may or may not be helpful.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

This is a female Sparrowhawk I photographed outside my back door and again in the Lane.

It's a female. The male is more golden / brown in front.

They usually hang around where there are small birds or Pigeons and will often just sit on a fence post of something in the garden.

If at the time there were no other birds about and all was quiet, it could well be a Sparrowhawk.
They make a shrieking type noise.

http://www.downthelane.net/wildlife-diary/latest-entry/sparrowhawk-strikes-twice/

I felt a little bad about it as I rescued a Pigeon from the Rayburn which had fallen down the Chimney, put it on the shed roof, went out to check if it was OK and the Sparrowhawk was ripping it apart a few feet away from me - didn't move, just carried on !

(click the photos for larger size)

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Doesn't look like your picture but I did find a picture which resembled it. Certainly the little birds see it as a threat as they all vanish when it appears.
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Hi Grannyof4. Certainly sounds like a Sparrowhawk but a male rather than Richards photos of a female. The male is smaller than the female as well. We had a male & female visiting the garden at the end of last year but I've not seen them yet this year. Beautiful birds but not when they eat my little birds!!!!
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Yes definitely a little male sparrowhawk but he can go find his meals somewhere else. I have 3 big feeding stations so loads of little birds. I also have my pet chicken but would hope she is far too big for him.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

I am not amused as he has just helped himself to one of my little birds for his breakfast.
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

They all have to eat though.

Nature can be a tough thing to sit back and watch, as well as an amazing pleasure.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Yes I know. RIP little sparrow {cry}
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Oh dear, as said, nature's way and balance etc.

Sparrowhawks are incredibly clever.
When finding a new territory, they will literally learn almost every tree, branch, angles etc.
This amazing BBC Video shows one flying at really high speed ducking, diving, left turn, right turn and so on.

[center][youtube]Ra6I6svXQPg[/youtube][/center]
(for larger screen, click play then the youtube logo and view there)

Roads, roof tops and open Gardens are a natural and easy attraction.

Unlike the Kestrel, they don't 'drop' vertically to predate, they swoop in almost horizontal, so if you can distract that happening it's good.

If it's taking from under or on the bird feeders, try moving the feeders to where there's a hedge or fence pretty much the same height or more than the actual feeders.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

As HH says everyone has to eat but NOT in my garden!
It then begs another question which I have asked a few people over the years & most have the same thoughts as me. Why does it bother me to see a Sparrowhawk catch a bird but it doesn't bother me if I see (for example) a dolphin with a fish in its mouth?