snakes

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
kitla
Legendary Laner

snakes

Post by kitla »

Doing a bit of clearing behind the chicken run when I looked up, on top of some dense ivy on the tall fence was a little grass snake. As there are children living nextdoor I thought it was a toy one, then it fllicked its little tongue at me. I called my son to look, we went back with his camera & there were two of them, one adult & one possibly baby one. I didnt know they hung about together. I'll post a photo when ds send it to me.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: snakes

Post by Gwenoakes »

Will look forward to the piccie, Kitla.
I have never seen a grass snake in person but have seen various other snakes including the Tiger snake when we were in Australia. They used to bring them into the shopping malls to make people aware of what was dangerous. Some of them were very big.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I have never seen a snake here in the UK but easily seen over a dozen where we lived in South Africa including a cobra, green mamba, black mamba, puff adder, night adder, grass snake and python.

kitla wrote: we went back with his camera & there were two of them, one adult & one possibly baby one. I didnt know they hung about together

it's possible they were sharing the same hibernation area in winter which is not unusual and were just starting to move out (or the "baby" one was a male and the larger one was a female, but then there tend to be other males around as well chasing the females when they are breeding)
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Image Image
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

wow - fantastic photos )like(
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

They are very good piccies. Are they still around or have they slithered off somewhere?
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I'm hoping when the sun hits that spot again they'll be back.
--Immanuel Kant
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Magic.
I'm surprised it didn't run off, they're quite shy usually.
Maybe protecting something.

Wonderful creatures (although I could never pick one up !!).

Richard )t' )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Just got to put this, Richard.
I didn't realise that snakes had legs...................now I am )run( {rofwl}
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

the big one was back up there today,it doesnt seem to mind me there unless i go too close. If it keeps turning up it's in danger of being given a name.
--Immanuel Kant
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Can I suggest Sid or Hissing Sid. Not sure if grass snakes hiss.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Having done a bit of research I think, as LL suggested, they are a male & female pair. The females are larger than the males. I hope we didnt interupt them trying to produce little sids.
--Immanuel Kant
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Nice photo, I was very brave & had quick look because I don't like snakes!! Frightened me years ago on tv & never got over it, made even worse by finding one on our lotty which was a fully grown grass snake!! It sent me strange for days!!!