Flying Ants!

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Flying Ants!

Post by KathJ »

Came home on Thursday night to loads of ants on the utility room floor }hairout{ Hoovered them up, took Toby out for a walk and when I walked back in I was greeted with thousands of flying ants yike* yike* I hate them. They were over everything so I left the back door open for them to get out and luckily after a couple of hours they'd pretty much gone. Each day since there have been a few more but not as many. I'd already put down a load of those bate station things but they obviously hadn't worked. Horrible little things aren't they {mr.angry}
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Re: Flying Ants!

Post by KarenE »

Yes, absolutely hate ants whether flying or not

Didn't your chickens eat them?
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I can't see what harm they do. Live & let live.
I've noticed quite a few milling about in a couple of places in the garden, not flying (do they swarm then shed wings ?), I often disturb nests when digging.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Horrid things. Friends a few miles away had them over the weekend. We once had a swarm when we were camping. All over the awning roof. Ugh.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

I don't really care about them outside but I didn't want them in the house yike* I should have taken the girls in I'm sure they'd have had a feast {rofwl}
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Ants are a fact of life I am afraid, especially in hot countries.

I remember, ants were everywhere in Australia. Here in Thailand, we constantly have ants in the house. They are fortunately, the smallest ants ever, about 2 mm long, but they do get everywhere. Currently, they are all over the bananas on the bench. If we wipe the benches down with just a cloth with washing up liquid on, it puts them off for a while. They are pretty sensitive to chemicals. Our ants are a bit of a nuisance but we can live with them.

Cockroaches, on the other hand, are a different proposition. {mr.angry}
Michael
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I agree about the ants in Australia, they were large and used to rear up on their hind legs.
I used to feed the feral cats when out there and in order to allow time for them to eat the food I sprayed a large ring of Baygon, think that is how it was spelt, and then put the food down in the middle. You could see the ants coming and usually the cats had managed to eat the food before they penetrated the ring.
Cockroaches were HUGE in Australia and they were a definite no, no for me. Horrid, horrid things.
I was out in the garden the other day and managed to disturb three nests of ants, all very small, but they all settled down again and I didn't get bitten once.
If they come in the house I use something that they took back to their nests, sorry cannot remember the name of it, but it always worked.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I hate ants of any kind and luckily have only seen them in one place in my front garden.
After living in Australia I feel that I can cope with ours very well. I have never seen anything as large as the ant armies there and dreaded the red ants which would bite.
I read somewhere that ants don't like salt. In the past I have put a line of salt outside a back door to stop them coming in. It worked!
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

The ants in Australia are monsters. Honey ants with their big brown butts, and I remember seeing ants with green thoraxes in the Daintree which apparently tasted citrusy. I never tried them! All the insects in Australia are fearsome :-D
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Let's hope no one here is planning on emigrating to Australia :-D

Wendy and I have recently been living in India, Borneo and Thailand, but Australia still takes the biscuit in my book when it comes to ants and other creepy crawlies.
Michael
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

KathJ wrote:I don't really care about them outside but I didn't want them in the house yike* I should have taken the girls in I'm sure they'd have had a feast {rofwl}

Yes, when I had hens I'd give then any ants nests I disturbed. The only time that gang showed their pecking order, I'd had problems with another bunch but hadn't realised which of those were top hen till then
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire