Campaign to help hedgehog numbers

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Campaign to help hedgehog numbers

Post by Freeranger »

There's a campaign to help our beleaguered hedgehogs by making garden highways compulsory in new developments. There's a petition on change.org, which forces parliamentary discussions of well supported issues, and a general information site about the campaign and hedgehogs in general:
https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/
Please have a look and see if it's something you might sign up to, or if there's more you can do in your own garden.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Campaign to help hedgehog numbers

Post by Mo »

My garden is completely open to wildlife. But my friend needs to fence hers high and low to keep out deer and rabbits, so it's not always that simple.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

We had 450 runners through here yesterday doing a half marathon, didn't see any hedgehogs though. A local hedgehog rescue is raising funds to build a new hedgehog hospital. People are very concerned about the decline in numbers of these cute little creatures. My garden is hedgehog friendly, though I haven't seen many this year.

ilona
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

)like(
Michael
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I'm on the hedgehog street map.
My regular hedgy has started eating everything I put out, getting fattened up for winter. It gets fed every night all year round, until it stops being eaten. Food goes under a plastic storage box with a hog sized hole in the side & a brick on the top. It needs water nearby too & at least one little gap into each neighour's garden. Since I've been doing this there's been no squashed hedgies on the road. (used to be quite often)
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

The gap between gardens can make all the difference and it's a small thing that is easy to do. Hedgehogs are really under threat.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

When living in a large town we used to see hedgehogs when I walked the dogs late every night. Since living out in the country, approx 13 yrs now, not seen one anytime of day or night and there are plenty of ins and outs to our garden and paddocks.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

It's a campaign to make changes to the planned urban environment, which is where it will make the difference.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I've only ever seen one hedgehog in all my years, and it was a dead one I found on a neighbouring allotment plot (it was during winter so who knows why) I'd have thought my neighbours gardens and mine would be perfect for wildlife and hedgehogs - most like mine are unusually long so it's not as urban as you might think with houses almost all on a perimeter of a wide (open) space.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

We used to have lots of hedgehogs visit our garden 25 or so years ago. When my kids were growing up, I could go out almost any evening and find a hedgehog somewhere in the garden to show them.

What happened since those days is the overgrown fields at the back of us have been built on. I get really frustrated that these new developments are subject to 'environmental surveys' and then the builders don't have the sense to create proper wildlife corridors and as others have said on this thread, simply to leave small gaps in the new fences they erect.
Michael