Brimstone butterfly + Song Thrush

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Brimstone butterfly + Song Thrush

Post by lancashire lass »

Yesterday while walking on campus where I work, I had the surprise of my life - not only the sight of a butterfly but it was bright yellow (like acid yellow rather than canary) It made me stop to watch it - what a lovely sight. I suspected it was a Brimstone even though I'd never seen one before but it seems to match the best description and usual time of sighting (about early-mid March depending on the weather conditions - with the recent warm spell, an earlier sighting makes sense)

This was the second time I had spotted something at work which borders on to the River Trent / nature reserve - the day before as I got in the car with a colleague (I give him a lift home), we sat and watched a number of birds in the trees. We were trying to identify a small slender bird on a tree silhouetted against the evening sky (we weren't sure if it was a Woodpecker or a Nightingale) when 2 Song Thrushes landed on the grass verge right in front of the car with their very distinctive spotted chests. It was quite amazing - on both occasions I wish I had got my camera with me ...
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Brimstone butterfly + Song Thrush

Post by Mo »

)like(
The butterfly that I saw in my garden on Monday, and guessed might be a comma (from the colour) was there yesterday too and I got a proper look - yes, Comma. I get Brimstones but haven't seen one this year.
Quite a lift to see them
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Brimstone butterfly + Song Thrush

Post by Gwenoakes »

Not seen any butterflies, but have seen quite a few bees.