Rats

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Jenny
Lively Laner

Rats

Post by Jenny »

Anyone know how to keep rats from running up the pole of the bird table. Getting fed up of seeing it sitting there eating the bird food.

Jenny
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Rats

Post by kitla »

They are very clever & will get round most efforts to stop them! I suppose squirrel proof bird feeders might stop a rat, it depends how small they are. I know someone who stopped a squirrel from climbing the pole by greasing it.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

As soon as the rats appear I stop putting out bird food. So far no sight in my garden but there is more stuff around for the birds now anyway. I have the pole with feeders hanging on them so rats can't get up those anyway.
wendy

Post by wendy »

I haven't a pole, but hang the feeders from one of the many trees out there.
Rats are a problem.
So I now hang an open umberella underneath. Catches the excess seed and I don't see any rats.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I like the umbrella idea )t'
We had the same problem once, and other half created a mission impossible obstacle course - greased the pole, hung the feeder from string that would wobble, greased that, put obstacles in the way...the rats outsmarted him every time! It became quite comical in the end.
We stopped putting the food out for a while and the rats moved on, and then we started again and it was fine. I think they were initially attracted by the dropped seed etc, so the umbrella idea sounds good. Wish we'd thought of it.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Wendy, what a brilliant idea with the umbrella.

Thankfully we have not had rats this winter, but last winter they were in and out of our garden. We put the cheap bait down but they still arrived. A friend supplied us with some agricultural strength, and that sorted them.

They inhabit our neighbour's jungle of a garden, and they are just not bothered about pests, hygeine, etc.

When we had them, we stopped feeding the birds, which was so upsetting, as it was in the middle of winter.

Hope you get sorted.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Another idea is to coat the bird feed with hot chilli powder - birds are not affected by the heat of the chilli (capsaicin) whereas mammals (including people!) are sensitive to it. It will probably only work for a short time as rats are incredibly adept at getting used to anything they eat especially if they are hungry.

Freeranger wrote:I like the umbrella idea )t'

me too!
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I know this is maybe a little late but have just read something interesting on google which might help with your problem especially if your pole is metal.
Spray WD40 on the pole thus making it slippery, apparently they say it works for squirrels, so do not see why it should not work for rats/mice etc.