A 3 storey residence

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Mo
Legendary Laner

A 3 storey residence

Post by Mo »

I just went into the garden to fill some flower pots. There were 3 stacked on the path, with some cardboard screwed up in the top one (I'd lined them to make planting out easier last year) When I separated them there was an ants nest - ants running around with eggs and larvae. So I put them back and left them to it.
Wouldn't have thought a flower pot was big enough, but they must know what they are doing.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: A 3 storey residence

Post by Gwenoakes »

That was a really kind thing to do for your little friends, Mo. I hope they said thank you.
We have some nests in plant pots that have compost and plants in and I must say they are not very happy when I have to water the plants.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I'm not always kind. When I kept hens I accidentally dug up quite a big nest - the hens really enjoyed it, and showed a pecking order that I didn't usually see.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Hmmm they like flower-pots with things growing in, too. I've just found a dying plant in the Early spuds pot. Dug it out so that it wouldn't infect the others and the stem was hollowed out and covered with ants.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Tell me about it, Mo they really are good at killing plants...…...any plants.
At the moment I am having a battle with Blackbirds. I have two old white sinks in the garden just outside the kitchen window. Last year I replanted them with lovely succulents and they really took well and looked so nice...…….but the blooming blackbirds decided they were going to take the plants apart and nothing I did made any difference. Now one sink has absolutely nothing in and the other is dying on it's feet.
I had some big old pots that were broken and made a nice display putting in smaller broken pots in tiers and planted them up and the blackbirds are now at them!!
I can see no evidence of anything including ants in either of the sinks or the broken pots planters so what the heck they are after I really do not know. The blackbirds also attacked my strawberries last year so I have put some wire over the trough they are in and it seems to have worked so far, but have no idea what to do with the sinks and broken pot displays.