spider things living on wild bird

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
kitla
Legendary Laner

spider things living on wild bird

Post by kitla »

Strange title I know, but I'm wondering what they were! A young housemartin left the nest a bit early & got stranded on the lawn, I caught it & took it up to the window ledge under the nest & once it had rested it managed to fly off. While I was handling it several of these little spiders kept darting out from under its wings then dissappearring again before I could knock them off. They were brown/grey & quite big for the size of the bird - maybe 1/2 cm across, definately not mites, too fast for lice I think, looked more like spiders. Anyone know?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: spider things living on wild bird

Post by kitla »

euwwww I just found them here https://www.fantasticpestcontrol.co.uk/ ... ird-mites/
That nest gets used every year & its under the topmost eave of the house, just above the loft window. I think when the Martin's have left I might spray it with something so they dont start creeping in through the window.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
wendy

Post by wendy »

Yes mites, sadly.
I am sure there are loads of creepy crawlies in the eaves and lofts.
Best not thought about
)grin2(
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Be careful what you spray with. Something suitable for hens might be OK for other birds.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Agreed Mo.

They've probably just shared the nest together.
The parents could have brought whatever, the young ones have dropped them and they've reproduced beside the young birds.

Just a guess.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Apparetntly if these mites build up in numbers they can invade your house when the birds have left! I've rescued adult & fledgling birds a few times over the years & never seen these great big things on them so they cant be something thats always there. My twitcher friend suggests we knock the nest down after theyve gone & let them build a new one next year. The thought does make me cringe - I'd need to wear a bathcap & goggles so mites dont rain down on me! )grin2(
--Immanuel Kant
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

A new nest sounds a good plan, maybe leave a foundation do you think???
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Interesting Kitla.

We had House Martin Nests on the Grandstand at Canterbury.
One day in Winter it was decorated and they took the nests down - the House Martins appeared but left.
They tend to repair last years if they can.

Mind you, the paint may have put them off re-building.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

kitla wrote:They were brown/grey & quite big for the size of the bird - maybe 1/2 cm across, definately not mites, too fast for lice I think, looked more like spiders. Anyone know?

But that link to bird mites suggest:

Size: adults are less than 1 mm in size

so not the half centimetre you describe although the colouration and description do appear similar
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

aha! well spotted LL, I read that as less than a cm, I obviously didnt read the detail properly. So back to the drawing board - what were they?
--Immanuel Kant