Wasps

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Wasps

Post by Freeranger »

I went to get something from the caravan yesterday. We'd left the roof vent open as it was starting to get a little mildewy, and not been back in for a while. When I went in I was buzzed by bees, who've built a nest up against one of the cupboards above the sink. We are using it for storage at the moment, but it's also our only spare room for visitors.
I don't really want to kill the wasps unless I have to, but I don't want them there either. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Wasps

Post by Mo »

Are they wasps, honey bees or some other kind of bee?
If they are honey bees someone from your local beekeeping assoc may help you and rehome them. If the nest looks as if it's made of grey paper (ball shape) and they are yellow and black then you have wasps. Would you dare pull the nest off and move it - I know I wouldn't. You can buy wasp killer - get one in a container with a long spout and use it when they are all in at night. Or the council will do it for you (probably charge)
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Honey bees homes are made of wax.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Mo wrote:You can buy wasp killer - get one in a container with a long spout and use it when they are all in at night.

I didn't find it all that effective at night when I had the wasp nest behind the feather board wall round the pond - the nest obviously went deeper and not so accessible to reach with the spray. And even scarier to spray at night than during the day although obviously daytime sprays at the entrance only killed those it hit and not the whole colony.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

They're definitely wasps, Mo. The hive is a papery construction that's about the size of an orange.

Was yours bigger than that LL?
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

If you spray around the entrance, the theory is that the wasps flying in and out carry it into the nest. That won't work so well if there are several ways in.
Only the size of an orange, not too many there yet (but quite enough in my mind). I've seen them football size +)
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I think that post was before my time, but I just read the whole thread - made me laugh. Nice to see all those old 'faces' on there again.
I don't think I could match Ock's bravery. I would be an even girlier girl from Girleyville, and I don't own a pink T shirt or a water butt.
Acutally, I don't mind wasps, just not there.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

I hate to say this but I think it is spray or foam. You need to do "the deed" late evening when they have all settled
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Mo wrote:How many of us remember this member and his encounter with wasps?

{rofwl} everyone at work are looking at me after bursting out loud with laughter ... how did I miss this thread? And lots of familiar posters who aren't on DTL any more {cry}
Freeranger wrote:They're definitely wasps, Mo. The hive is a papery construction that's about the size of an orange.

Was yours bigger than that LL?

It was behind the feather boarding round the pond ... unlike Ock in the link, I wasn't daft enough to try and remove the boards to have a look. And I think they had formed a nest deep inside the pond wall as the spray didn't reach it

Mo wrote:If you spray around the entrance, the theory is that the wasps flying in and out carry it into the nest. That won't work so well if there are several ways in.

There wasn't a "back door" to my nest - after spraying the gap in the boarding, the wasps were unaffected by the residue.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

oh gosh, we also have a wasp nest and in the worst place. Its where our conservatory joins the kitchen & they're going into a hole into the loft space above the kitchen. So the nest is not accessable to us & come August when they leave the nest we'll probably have to stop eating outside & keep the doors closed )gr:
We've been putting off dealing with it but I've noticed them increasing in numbers this week so getting a bit worried, will be watching for any useful advice.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

When I had my chickens, I had a large wasps nest wedged between the top of their house and the roof of the run. It was so busy in there with them, that I had to keep the chickens out for the day and used a whole can of wasps spray in the entrance of and on the nest. Even though wasps, I hated doing it but was worried that the girls might try and eat them.. It worked.
So lovely to see some of the old laners again. That was at time when the lane was always very busy.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I'm glad you posted this FR, it made me think seriously about our wasp nest. Like you I dont like killing things & was thinking of leaving it to run its course - they will eat lots of flies & be gone by winter. But because its right next to our kitchen, conservatory, patio & bedroom window, infact everywhere we spend any time, and we're expecting our first grandbaby soon, also that DH ended up in A&E from a wasp sting a couple of years back. So we've decided to pay for a pest controller to do it properly. If we spray the hole in the wall & the nest is further in than we thought, all we'd do is make them angry, & if we did leave it alone we'll probaby end up with a load of queens hibernating in the loft to repeat the process next year.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I think I get queens hibernating somewhere. I see them in the kitchen early in the year. Wasps are about the only thing I have no hesitation in killing, so it's the rolled magazine and boot treatment.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I wouldn't normally do this, but we had a surprise visitor so the nest came to a nasty, foamy end.
I have to say that I went out more tooled up than Ock, with a mossie net over my face, gloves and wellies (so no ankle exposure). It says spray from a distance - can still be done while you're running away like a girl! :-D