Blackbirds and Robins

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Blackbirds and Robins

Post by Gwenoakes »

I counted the other day 10 plus Blackbirds and 5 Robins on our lawn at the back.
We always seem to have an abundance of both of these birds and yet I thought the Robin especially was quite territorial.
We also have Dunnocks and Hedge Sparrows along with Doves who always nest in the Holly tree and also the inevitable pigeons. The pigeons especially always peck away at an old winding brick path and I am not sure why they do this tbh. Anyone any idea?
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Re: Blackbirds and Robins

Post by Freeranger »

Are they picking at moss or little weed seedlings, perhaps?
We have hundreds of chaffinches at the moment.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Not sure what they are picking at, FR, but they are making a mess of the already crumbling bricks.
I did wonder if it was for some form of grit being as we are in spring and they will be breeding soon.
wendy

Post by wendy »

It is lovely to see them, especially at this time of year as they are starting to get busy.
I have about 15 trees in my garden and so get lots of different birds nesting out there.
Great to sit in the conservatory and watch them at the feeders etc.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I have been able to spend time actually looking at the birds in detail since the lock down usually I snatch a few minutes at a time with working,. So, for me even the lock down has a silver lining.
Before anyone says, I am not belittling the lock down or this dratted virus either.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I had a few spare grapes, going a bit soft. Chucked them on the lawn and the birds love them.

ilona
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

There were 5 male blackbirds Social Distancing on the drive the other day. Think it was a hint, as when it was colder I'd been cutting up my wrinkly apples and putting them on the grass. So I chucked out a few more. Not many left now.
At the beginning on March (according to my FB post) there were 7 female pheasants on the drive peering at my window. They didn't say why.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Maybe you did not ask them nicely enough, Mo. {rofwl} {rofwl}
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

There are two pigeons outside my flat which spend the whole day hanky pankying. Right racket.
There's a Collared Dove who often comes down and see's them off !

On the leylandi above my feeders ten feet away from my kitchen window I get a twice daily visit from a Goldcrest. Keeps me entertained, lovely little thing.

Beside that it's Great / Coal / Long Tail / Blue Tits, Dunnocks and Blackbirds mainly.
The Sparrows prefer the other side of the building.
Buzzards often pass over plus the occasional Red Kite.

Thus far, all are thriving.

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome