Some friends of mine

All free living creatures around our Homes & Gardens - enjoying helping them helping us
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Some friends of mine

Post by Richard »

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

Hi Richard - are they all filmed in your garden? That was really great to see.

Phil
Richard

Post by Richard »

Yeap, the only one I've lost is the one I really wanted to show; a Pheasant in the chicken run with the others.
Ah, the Martins are above the Dressing Rooms. There are some round here, but never seem to catch them.
Same with Kingfishers who just show a flash of shiny blue as they whiz past.

Most were last year. Haven't seen the woodpeckers atall this year.

My favourite's the Bullfinch. First time we've seen one down here last year.

Soon it'll be time for the Canada Geese who stop off in the field behind us for about a week.

Every morning they fly in formation to a nearby lake and come back in the evening.
Absolutely wonderful sight and the noise as they fly over the house!! The chooks just go completely quiet!

Got some Swans down the fields as well. I'm hoping they sit tight as it's defence for any more houses being built round here.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Richard

Post by Richard »

Got a photo though when walking past the kitchen window by the Acer bush....

wendy

Post by wendy »

What a lovely video.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

I always a little surprised that the range of birds coming in to my garden is so limited. Blackbirds, robins and bluetits are regular but anything else are rarities. I've seen a jay once. We live right next to common land with some woods. Maybe that's the reason? They hang out there instead. I do have a bird table just outside the kitchen window which is generally ignored - perhaps it needs to be re-sited.

Anyway have to agree you Richard about he bullfinch.
Richard

Post by Richard »

We're very lucky. The Lane is a no through one about 300 yards , in fact it's just a rough track / footpath.
There are six houses down here, two on one side, four on the other. There's a stream running all the way down which attracts eels, snakes etc. There's about 10 Trout who live in about a 50 meter stretch.

This makes us having fields and a copse on three sides, so many creatures are attracted. Plus hops as well!! See
http://www.downthelane.net/naturesgifts.html

So, the only downer is that we rent, but the Landlord's good, it's reasonably inexpensive and he allows me access to a large covered barn, the old Mill (derelict) and about half an acre of wasteland.

All this and a ten minute drive to town.,

I am blessed!!
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

In fact, apart from being in a countrified location, you have got a range of different types of habitat which must help. Sounds good :)
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

Not too far from where I live there are quite a few deer. I often see them when I drive home from work at around dusk, particularly in the autnumn. I have only once seen a snake in the wild in the uk (a grass snake). The thing about seeing wildlife in the wild, even relatively common species like a bullfinch, is that it always has an uplifing effect. Even better of course if its in your own garden.
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Some friends of mine

Post by AnnaB »

I used to have a 'tame' pheasant who was able to be hand fed. He had a limp and was lovely. One day he came in the kitchen for his food and then departed before he had eaten it...he went outside and did a motion and came back in for his food (never thought they were house-trained!)
Richard

Post by Richard »

I had another rarity today - seeing a wren sitting on the Acer Bush stationery.
They're such lovely little birds, but you normally just see the backs of them!

Love to see wild deer.

I also enjoy seeing the Pheasant, but they tend to get shot round these parts.
A tame one is something else.
Emmamoo
Lively Laner

Post by Emmamoo »

That's a really lovely video Richard. I really wish I lived in the country I love the tranquility and nature. Unfortunately for me I have the mainline to ashford running at the bottom of my garden and the Royal Mail sorting office and most pleasantly the local sewage works (but we can't smell it up this far thankfully) so nature in my garden consists of a few foxes, seagulls circling the poo works and shed loads of starlings. They've pood on my sons trampoline its just wonderful...

I did put some peanut feed up for the birds to attract different species but all I got were so many starlings they scared off all the sparrows so I ended up taking it down. :(
****Emma****

...Ever the optimist!
melons
Legendary Laner

Oh nickers

Post by melons »

Oh bless, I love the wildlife we get here, apart from........
I woke up with a slug on my pillow in the night, Daisy always sleeps on my head whe she comes in from mousing, mainly so she can suckle my fingers before she drops off to sleep, cute but not always so cute......when she got up, my had went where she'd been asleep, for me to find a slug on the pillow next to me :shock: :oops: the filthy filthy little mare, they stick in her fluffy draws.

So yes the wildlife is nice, but not all of it :?
Cheers
mel x