First Cuckoo of the year

Creatures mainly outside of our Gardens; Land, Water and Sea
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

First Cuckoo of the year

Post by wildlifemad »

We went to our local ish nature reserve on Sunday which is Warwickshire wildlifes HQ. Had a lovely 3 hours there from 7am till 10am. 60 species seen in total but lovely to hear 3 & then see 2 Cuckoos which were the first of the year for us. We have them next to our allotments as well but haven't heard one yet. Anyone else heard or seen one yet?
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: First Cuckoo of the year

Post by Gwenoakes »

Neither seen or heard one yet.
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

We are swamped with them here at present, their numbers seem to be going up every year. We often see them being chased off by other birds, it is also lovely to hear them calling to each other in perfect stereo with one calling from one tree and the other responding from distance. Often we have one sitting on the garden well but they are a bird our dog Max does not like so he makes sure they are on their way with a quick bark and charge at them!
"Not all those who wander are lost"
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

You are lucky to have so many there Trev62, they are declining here (England) year on year but are holding up better in Scotland & not sure about Wales & Ireland. As you say, great to hear them battling it out with their calls!
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Not heard one yet either. We don't hear them every year, sadly. In my other home, they were more abundant.
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

On Sunday morning (15th) we popped to the allotment for half an hour & heard our 1st Cuckoo of the year! Calling for 20 mins, Spring has sprung!!! This is a month earlier than the last 2 years so it is possible it was a bird just passing through, time will tell if we hear it again.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Same as last year, not heard one yet. Mind you having said that I never heard one at all last year.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

That's good.

I don't know what's what yet down here in Bishop's Waltham, so will keep my eyes and ears open.

Richard )t' )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome