Injured Kestrel

Creatures mainly outside of our Gardens; Land, Water and Sea
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Injured Kestrel

Post by Gwenoakes »

This a.m. a Kestrel flew into our bay window, knocking itself out. We left it a few minutes and then put it in a cardboard box in the garage. We rang the R.S.P.C.A. just before 9a.m. and up till now they have not come. They did say that an inspector in our area was not on till 12 noon, but they would try to get a vet out. I have rung them umpteen times as Kestrel is still alive, but looks to poss have broken one or both legs and they now say that no one will contact us till after 2p.m. as they are very busy!
If someone does not contact us soon we will have to see if a local vet can deal with it as we cannot leave it much longer.
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Re: Injured Kestrel

Post by HedgeHugger »

Any wildlife rescues in your area?
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Well, they did not come back to us, so managed to get a local vet to look at it. We had to take it, luckily only 10 min drive, but they have quite a few emergencies, so it will not be first in line, unfortunately.
I feel so, so, mad and upset with myself that I let this go on for so long and will never, ever bother with the R.S.P.C.A. again.
It is quite ironic as last Sun, Clare was walking Teddy round the fields and there was a sheep got stuck in a dyke. After lots of phone calls and finally getting hold of the farmer she met him at the field, by this time totally pitch black and showed him where it was. He managed to get the sheep out and to date we do not know if it survived as we were not the first call he had had. Apparently someone had called him the day before, but 'he could not find it!. He has we have heard been reported to the authorities for cruelty, but how true that is we do not know.
I wonder what will happen next Sunday? They say things come in three's, don't they?
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

They rang 15 mins since and when I told them we no longer required their assistance she wanted to know why she had not had a cancellation notice. So told her I had not blooming well cancelled it.
Had some bull story about an inspector going off sick and her not coming on till 2p.m., which I said was all well and good, but nobody had the decency to let me know so that I could have saved the poor bird waiting for hours.
All done and dusted now and I will keep the number of the vets who were so helpful and hopefully will never, ever have to deal with them again.
The wildlife places are approx an hour away from us, HH and was sure that the bird would not have stood a journey like that. I did try to ring one, but went round and round the houses with telephone numbers that I gave up in the end.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Good for you to hang on in there.

Let's hope the Bird is treatable, finds a good rest / recovery Centre and released back into the wild.
Beautiful birds.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

The vet did say that if it recovered it would be freed around our house, so here is hoping, Richard.
If I don't here from them in a few days I will ring and find out what happened to it, would like to know the outcome.
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

I am totally with you regarding the RSPCA. My hubby works at a plant nursery with 13 acres of glass & earlier this year a Mute swan had crash landed through the glass, obviously thought the glass was water as it was flying over, he called RSPCA & they refused to come out. He phoned our local wildlife hospital (Vale wildlife) & they came out, checked it over & took it down the river to release. I have also heard of other people phoning RSPCA to no avail.
Fingers crossed for the Kestrel & well done you for rescuing it.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I could not wait any longer so rang the vets up and apparently the Kestrel died. I did expect it to be honest with waiting so long and I could really give myself a massive kick for allowing that to happen. It will never happen again like that!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

You mustn't blame yourself, you did your best.

Such a pity but these things happen; window smashes, road kill etc.

Not all Kestrels pair for life, so I'm sure it's 'mate' will find another one.

Take care

Richard {hug} {hug}
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wendy

Post by wendy »

You tried your very best, which is more than the RSPCA do,
I have crossed swords over 'travellers' horses left in our field, on more than one occasion .
We tried and tried to get help for these Mares, who had no water or food. My husband had to drag the empty trough outside our gate, so we could water the 17 of them. They were eating our fences and conifers. These poor animals gave birth over night on their own.
But wow when one went down and was dying whilst giving birth. Everyone was there RSPCA, vets, police...........to blo*dy late....she died and we all had to watch helpless !
They will never get any money or help from me.
If I find an injured bird. I take it to a local vet.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning