Red Kites

Creatures mainly outside of our Gardens; Land, Water and Sea
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Red Kites

Post by wildlifemad »

Living in Warwickshire, Red Kites are becoming more common (apparently there are 3 or 4 prs breeding in the County) & we do see them over the village fairly regularly but they are always a delight to see. I saw on the internet that there was a winter roost the other side of town so Friday afternoon we went. We were there between 3 & 4.30pm & saw no less than 50 Kites come into roost!!! Just a small copse off the main road. Fantastic sight, we would have stayed longer but we were frozen!! The hand warmers we bought the week before were at home!!!!!
wendy

Re: Red Kites

Post by wendy »

Wow, how magnificent.
We have two who fly over and around the house and field. So beautiful
to watch.
Lucky you watching 50.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Gosh what a lot !!

Funny thing is it's been the World's most successful Bird Conservation and many people now are finding them a nuisance !!
I think a lot has been to do with people feeding them in their back gardens, Reading appears to be a favourite place.

Then there was the case of them apparently attacking children in a playing field ??

However, magnificent birds. I've only ever seen 3 and of those only one around here.
They fly up to 50 miles for food apparently.
My Niece has them sitting on her back fence in Twyford now and again.

Good for you though )t' )t' )t'

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

It was funny, while we were stood watching them several people stopped & asked what we were looking at. A couple originally from Australia & have travelled extensively chatted for ages & were amazed to see them. Then we had locals in their big cars asking us & then just saying "oh ok" & driving on but there was one chap in his big shiny Range Rover who didn't care that there were cars behind him & said he didn't like the Kites because he has 'lots of Buzzards' on his land & didn't want the Kites to upset them!!! My husband explained to him about their feeding habits (still whilst there were cars behind him!!!) & when he was satisfied he thanked us very much & drove off!!!!!! Nowt as queer as folk!!!!!!!
If you do end up going to Scotland Richard, the Black Isle area did a re-introduction of Kites & they are doing quite well there now, so eyes peeled around Inverness area & north. There is also a Red Kite feeding station at Tollie.
Richard

Post by Richard »

Thank you for info.

I went to Tolly when passing by there twice, no one there except me, or any Kites !!
I was amazed to see the RSPB had the doors open and you could just walk round the Centre.

Next time I must look out for feeding times etc. I'd imagine they probably liaise them with School Trips etc.

Third time lucky !

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

The kites know what time they get fed (remind you of any others ...cluck)
A college friend lives in Galloway (Gatehouse of Fleet), and she took me to. Spectacular. They gather early and wait.
We also saw Ospreys nesting at Threave castle.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard

Post by Richard »

Looks interesting Mo. I just google mapped it and looks like there's some good wetland spots very close by.

I've seen an Osprey from a distance at Arne in Dorset and they occasionally pass over here on their migration.
One was seen above Sainsbury's Car Park in Ashford last year !

Another one for me to have a closer look at !

Richard )t'