Heatwave + wildlife

Creatures mainly outside of our Gardens; Land, Water and Sea
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Heatwave + wildlife

Post by lancashire lass »

I've had 2 disasters in just as many weeks - first a pigeon and today a blackbird, tried to get water from the pond and somehow got in and then trapped under the net and died {cry} The message is that everything is so dry, birds (and other animals) are desperately seeking water. I've set up a bird bath in the garden and this morning even found a bumblebee drinking from it.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: Heatwave + wildlife

Post by kitla »

I do sometimes wonder how the birds are finding enough food for their fledglings let alone water, worms & snails are pretty scarce atm.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

lancashire lass wrote:I've set up a bird bath in the garden and this morning even found a bumblebee drinking from it.

Bees certainly do need water, honey bees particularly as they need it to dilute honey back down when they feed from it.

Here it is very hot every day but on the other hand we get plenty of rain. At present the pond out the back of us is overflowing.
Michael
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

The birds round us are drinking from the water containers in the horses field, although I do worry that they will fall in.
The magpies are foraging in our compost heap and have managed to rear their young successfully.