water for hedgehogs

Creatures mainly outside of our Gardens; Land, Water and Sea
albertajune
Legendary Laner

water for hedgehogs

Post by albertajune »

I see that hedgehogs are getting desperate for water. Is there a 'best' place to put water down for them?
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Re: water for hedgehogs

Post by Meanqueen »

I have no idea which is the best place, but I have six containers of water scattered about my garden. Two shallow dinner plates which the birds drink from and bathe in. A large pyrex glass bowl, plastic bowls, and a tall pot which the cats seem to like because they don't have to bend down to drink.

ilona
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I have no idea either, June.
Have read somewhere in the dim and distant past that chrome dishes are a no, no in hot weather for water but cannot remember the ins and outs.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I have a couple of china bowls of water in shady spots for the chooks, in the evening I top them up for the hedgehog. They seem to like going along the edges/walls alot, so that might be a good spot. I'm still feeding ours too, I dont imagine there's much food around the garden for them.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Just now in the garden

I went back & topped up the bowl for him & he was still there, I wouldnt be surprised if he jumps right in tonight!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
wendy

Post by wendy »

I don't get hedgehogs {cry} in the garden, but I do have a pond.
The birds love it and it is good to watch. Sadly the rats love it too }hairout{ 3 times lately I have seen one drinking from it. )grin2(
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I've also noticed wasps coming to drink at the bowls! Oh well, all creatures great & small.
--Immanuel Kant