Biodiversity of the tropical reefs

Creatures mainly outside of our Gardens; Land, Water and Sea
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Biodiversity of the tropical reefs

Post by fabindia »

I find it amazing just how much life there is in the sea here. I've put together a video of some of the stuff I've seen snorkelling over the past couple of days. There is so much to see down there.

The video is a bit jerky in places, as unlike scuba diving where you can take your time to steady yourself, with snorkelling, you have to get down quick and are limited to how long you can hold your breath down at 4 metres. Still gives an idea of what it is like.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4szx9KFUuzs&t=10s[/youtube]
Michael
wendy

Re: Biodiversity of the tropical reefs

Post by wendy »

Wow that is lovely.
How brave to snorkel. I don't even go in the sea, since seeing Jaws )grin2(
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Thank you so much for sharing Michael. I have never done diving but have seen before how beautiful these tropical reefs are. I loved the music that you have set it to. So relaxing and wonder do you know who it is.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

There is so much down there that we don't know about. I sit glued to programmes about the deep. Many years ago I went on holiday to the Cayman Islands and one of the trips was to go down in a submarine (obviously designed for viewing) along a reef. It was amazing.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Grannyof4 wrote: one of the trips was to go down in a submarine (obviously designed for viewing) along a reef. It was amazing.

Wow you were brave. Not sure that I wouldn't feel a little claustrophobic in a submarine. At least with diving and snorkelling you are in a bit more control yourself.

I agree though, it is an amazing world down there. I was out scuba diving today and saw some great stuff. Lots of really large puffer fish and the largest oriental sweetlips (just love the name anyway) I have ever seen.

Michael
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

wendy wrote:Wow that is lovely.
How brave to snorkel. I don't even go in the sea, since seeing Jaws )grin2(

The chances of being killed by a shark are very slim. Unfortunately, we have lots of drowning fatalities here, usually of people who venture into the sea who can't swim and take no notice of warning signs, rip currents etc., or have been drinking alcohol.

Most shark species on the other hand are timid and tend to leave people alone, and the theory is that even the 'killer' great white shark often simply mistake humans for their real prey of seals. Some people have suggested that rather than wear all black wetsuits (that make us look like shark prey), people should wear striped pattern wetsuits in seas where great whites hunt.
Michael