Two Scorpion fish today

Creatures mainly outside of our Gardens; Land, Water and Sea
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Two Scorpion fish today

Post by fabindia »

I have been diving most days this week, instructing and generally helping out a dive centre here on Phuket. This morning, I had just one student as her brother, who was supposed to be diving too, wasn't feeling too well today. My son also had a couple of young kids he was taking diving.

My student, who is only 15 years old, turned out to be excellent. With a few more dives and a bit of theory work, she will be a really good diver. Some people get it from day one, others need a bit more coaching.

Saw lots of really cool stuff today. The visibility on dive number 1 this morning was really good and though it wasn't quite as good at the start of dive 2, on a different side of the reef, my student who had only dived once before, spotted a scorpion fish. I took her round the edge of the coral we were diving and spotted an even larger one at the other side. I found my son, diving with two kids of about 12 years old, and signalled to him to come and see (obviously we can't just speak under water) to bring his kids and take a look.

Scorpion fish are interesting, as they are not easy to spot as they blend in with their surroundings so well, and are highly venomous should you touch them.

Saw lots of other interesting stuff, pufferfish, cute little boxfish and thousands of other fish.

Michael
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: Two Scorpion fish today

Post by albertajune »

What an interesting life you lead Michael. So great to hear your stories and see your pics. Wonderful that you can share the experience with your son. )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I like these fish, some years ago, well a lot of years ago there was a tropical fish shop in our local town and they had the Scorpion fish, I seem to remember them having some black on them though. Are there more than one type of Scorpion fish?
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Gwenoakes wrote:Are there more than one type of Scorpion fish?

Yes, there are different species and scorpion fish are close related to stone fish. Both are masters of disguise. So perhaps there was some black in the tank the ones you saw were being kept.

Scorpion fish are able to take on the colour of the rocks or coral that they rest on (they don't swim round a lot!). Their perfect camouflage makes them hard to spot, which is why I was really impressed that my student (on only her second dive only) spotted one, they are not the things we see every day. The fact they blend in so well is one reason we tell divers NEVER touch anything down below, there too many things that will sting or cut you, corals and barnacles can be very sharp.

Stone fish tend to lie part buried in the sand (scorpion fish are usually on rocks and coral) and again blend in so well. We do see them but they are even more difficult to spot than scorpion fish.
Michael
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks, Michael
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I am seeing and hearing of more fish and sea creatures than from any wildlife programme )like( never a dull moment for you. The scorpion fish looks stunning.
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/