Nemo's dad would have turned into his mom!

Creatures mainly outside of our Gardens; Land, Water and Sea
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Nemo's dad would have turned into his mom!

Post by fabindia »

On almost every dive out here in Thailand I manage to find some Clown Anemonefish. They were made famous by the film 'Finding Nemo' and the divers we take down love to see them.

There is a major flaw in the film's plot though, which basically centres round Nemo's dad trying to find him. In the real world of anemonefish the largest fish in the anemone is the dominant female, the rest are males of various sizes. Then what happens if the female dies or gets lost, is that the largest male turns into a female and becomes the dominant, egg laying, female. Anemonefish are what is termed sequential hermaphrodites, meaning they develop into males first, and when they mature, they become females.

It's a strange world down there.

Michael
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Nemo's dad would have turned into his mom!

Post by lancashire lass »

oh that's interesting - I know several species have a similar s.ex change but wasn't aware of the hierarchy - wikipedia "s.ex change"
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Nemo's dad would have turned into his mom!

Post by Gwenoakes »

I agree with LL that is interesting.
Years ago long before we knew any better we had tropical fish including Oscars which were brilliant I used to feed mine by hand and they just loved worms out of the garden which I obviously washed before giving to them. They also liked to be stroked, which was very satisfying for me.
They lived quite a long and grew to just over 12" long, while in a huge tank which was built into a stone surround each side of the fire place with just a window at the front.