Does it count? Plastic birds.

Creatures mainly outside of our Gardens; Land, Water and Sea
Mo
Legendary Laner

Does it count? Plastic birds.

Post by Mo »

What birds get you excited? Common, garden birds / birds that are fairly scarce / or rarities that don't really belong here. A bird you've travelled to see or one that has come to you. One you identify or one that is pointed out.
At the moment some people are getting excited about a lammergeier in the Peak District which has flown here from France. A vulture in England? My SIL was talking about it yesterday. He said they have been reintroduced in the Alps, and possibly taken from there to France, which would make it a 'plastic' bird. But it flew here on its own which makes it less plastic. He calls any introduction or escape 'plastic', so to him they are not worth getting excited about.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Re: Does it count? Plastic birds.

Post by Gwenoakes »

Not given it much thought, Mo.
I don't think I get excited about any bird tbh, but really love to see all sorts and every sort regardless of where they came from and I have never heard of the term 'plastic' before.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I would get excited if I saw a Goldcrest round here. Years ago I spent a long time watching for one at my step daughter's place in Wales, where it had been seen. In fifteen years I have only seen three Bullfinches. Unfortunately, we are overrun with Wood Pigeons and Jackdaws, who make a great deal of mess.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I sometimes see goldcrests from my kitchen window. And bullfinches (a friend who had a farm farm says he shoots them). They are attractive but I think they might be the reason the 2 plum trees nearest my hedge have no Czar plums and just a few Victorias.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I suppose I get more excited about birds when I've worked out what they are for myself. The owl that perched on the washing line and I thought 'could that be a long eared owl', and when I looked it up I decided it couldn't be anything else. My SIL was offended (or pretended to be) when i said it was the first time I'd seen one, since they'd picked me up on the way to Burton Mere reserve as there were reports of one perching there. We knew where it was by the crowd of people with telescopes but it was so well camouflaged that it didn't feel as if I'd seen it. And I certainly hadn't spotted it myself. The one in the garden was a big thrill.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Hi

The UK 'official' listing British Birds are for native species. If a foreign bird pays a visit, such as the occasional bird from North America, they are not seen as native.
Egrets and Spoonbills weren't listed as native until late 90's I think it was.

Spreckers - I get a Goldcrest on the Leylandi right outside my kitchen window, just through winter until Spring.
Look in Graveyards where there are Yew Trees, they're a favourite for them.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome