This last week or so we have been troubled with

Creatures mainly outside of our Gardens; Land, Water and Sea
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

This last week or so we have been troubled with

Post by Gwenoakes »

wild birds.
Although our chickens are 'securely' enclosed there has been the occasional wild bird that has got into the run and then got itself out again after a short period of time.
Firstly we had a Wagtail get in and after 3 days it was still in there, then it was joined by another Wagtail and they stayed for another 3 days before eventually finding a way out.
Then yesterday a Robin got into the run and is still there today.
To top it all this morning Clare went to see to the ponies and there was a very small, slightly feathered baby bird which was very cold and wet on the path. Non of us were quite sure what it was and as we have various nests in the Jasmin we took a peek. The only nest we thought it could have come from was a small one which had what looked like a yellow hammer in it, so Clare carefully put the baby in the nest and so far everything seems to be going OK.
I have tried ringing several wildlife trusts, left messages, but they only came back after the Wagtails had managed to get out. These trusts seem to be a bit like the R.*.*.*.A as one told me to feed the Wagtails with insects and when I told her the only thing I had was dried mealworms she suggested I break them up and soak them in water, plus lock my chickens in the hen house so they cannot eat the mealworms on a very, very hot day, which I declined, all this info before giving me yet another number to contact which I did only to be told on the answerphone message to call back in work hours which I was doing anyway. When they finally got back to me they said they could not change the answerphone message, but somehow I do not quite believe that.