Careful spending means freedom.

Special offers etc. you've come across out & about or online
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Careful spending means freedom.

Post by Meanqueen »

I am a big fan of supermarket Basics, Value, or whatever name they use to label up their cheap items. But, I am disappointed to find that Tossco are discontinuing some of their lines. The things I buy regularly are disappearing and are being replaced by own label, but these are not as cheap.

There are three levels of pricing, very cheap Value Basics etc, supermarkets own labels, and branded. I absolutely refuse to buy branded goods at greatly inflated prices, with one exception, I like tasty coffee.

I am having to search a bit further for the items I need, in other shops, to try and keep my grocery bill at a manageable level. I cannot find everything I want at the price I am prepared to pay, in one place. Saying that I don't traipse around in circles, I combine my shopping with other things I have to do, bank, library, arts centre, vet, dentist, and calling in places on the way back from somewhere else.

I am determined to keep on top of this, because by being careful I can save up for treats. This lifestyle is something I had to do a few years ago, when money was short, but now I am frugal through choice. Rather than missing out on things, I find the whole idea of keeping control of my finances gives me the freedom to do what I want to do.

Ilona
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Re: Careful spending means freedom.

Post by wildlifemad »

I too buy supermarket own brands in the majority of cases & by choice we live a frugal lifestyle to enable us to have holidays,etc. I mainly shop at Aldi & have done for over 20 years,I shopped at one of the 1st ones to open where I used to live.I find own brand items as good if not better than branded. For example we find Kelloggs Bran flakes too salty compared to own brand.I tell my Mum in law that most own brands are made by the big brands anyway, she doesn't believe this even though my husband & I both used to visit these factories when we were on the road & the staff used to tell us. There was an article on line recently where someone had bought a pack of 6 Aldi Hula Hoops & inside were KP Hula Hoops! When I told Mum in law this she said it was probably a set up!! She is very much a brand person but at 97 I don't think we'll change her!!!
The way I look at it is these manufacturers have more money than I 'll ever have so I will choose who has my money!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Well, I agree in part.
Like MQ's tasty coffee. I like McV's biscuits. And Sains Red Label tea. I'll get a cheap brand and compare it with the dearer version - if I can't tell the difference ....
I used to prefer S's Bran Flakes to Kellogs but the T's value version Bran Flakes and Weetabix (type) both taste like cardboard - though you do get a huge packet for the price of a tiny branded one. My cat can tell the difference too - won't eat Co-op or Sains own brands dry food, will eat T's. Cheap flour is fine for cakes, useless for pastry.

Being made in the same factory does not always mean made to the same recipe. Though sometimes it might.

If you save money for something else you want, or (like me) for the pleasure of beating the big boys, good luck.

I do look out for animal welfare standards though (Soil Assoc milk, free range egg in cakes, British pork), so those lines aren't the cheapest. Not that I buy much meat these days.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

I totally agree about buying higher welfare meat,free range eggs & looking for them in cakes & I won't buy meat if it isn't British & I try not to buy veg if it isn't British, we are lucky as we have an allotment & grow most of our own but sometimes like a bunch of grapes!! As you say you try something once if it isn't good you don't buy it again.
It's a challenge I relish to try & cut down bills on food & anything else for that matter!
Bluefinch
Lively Laner

Post by Bluefinch »

Mo - interesting about what you say about cheap flour. I tend to buy the better own label flour and it seems to be okay.

Will always buy own label products if I can. Although Lidl is a bit of a drive for us I know I can save about 25% by going there and each time I go they seem to have upped their range so I no longer have to pop into Sainsburys to top up the shopping.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

yes, I agree. Own brand midprice flour is OK (the same as big names?). 'Value' is rubbish for pastry (not enough gluten? different variety of wheat?)
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Done my Christmas shopping. I got £63.15 worth of food for £7.18. All yellow stickers, 90% off. Have enough for 2 - 3 weeks. Mainly veg and fruit, and some posh bread. I passed some to two of my neighbours, some will go in my freezer. Plenty for the Christmas period and beyond.

No more shopping needed till the New Year. )like(

Ilona
)x6( >tree< .sn<
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

)like(

Richard .san.jump.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Hi Richard. The shop was full, trolleys full of Christmas stuff, no one was bothering to rummage through the yellow stickers. They were buying for Christmas day and didn't want short dated food. They think it's suddenly going to go off in a day or two. Silly people, they prefer to pay full price, easily conned. A lot of food can be safely eaten a week or more after the day on the pack. Lucky for me. )x6(

Ilona
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Well I was in the local Co-op late afternoon on Christmas Eve. Last reductions on veg (which wasn't what I'd gone in for). 10p a pack of parsnip & carrot wedges. 10p 300g mixed sweetcorn, peas, diced carrots. Though - that will save preparation.
BUT.....
ALWAYS read the small print. The parsnips/carrots were were in garlic and herb sauce (fortunately my daughter & partner like that) & the diced carrots ended up more crunchy than I like.

A bargain ain't always a bargain.