Frozen veg = no waste

Special offers etc. you've come across out & about or online
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Frozen veg = no waste

Post by Meanqueen »

I was in the High Street the other day, don't normally go that far up there, but I thought I would check out herons Foods. It's a small supermarket, only two aisles. Some of the prices were quite good.

These items were 60p each or two for £1. So, 120g of beans for £1. I checked on the big supermarket web site, a 850g bag of sliced beans is £1. Two bags of sliced mushrooms, 900g for £1, compared to £1 for a 500g bag at the other place. So these are the better buys. You might want to check out your Heron Foods if you have one. I shall be walking that extra few hundred yards up the High street again in the future, to keep my eye on the bargains there.

I eat a lot of fresh veg, but am finding offers on frozen foods so I will be leaning in that direction in the future. Frozen is convenient with no waste. However, I don't like frozen Brussels Sprouts very much, too mushy. I am constantly adding frozen peas, beans, sweetcorn, and broad beans to my meals.

Ilona
manda

Re: Frozen veg = no waste

Post by manda »

I agree on the frozen food Ilona (obviously in NZ so different bargains)....we do eat a fair bit of fresh veg and salad stuff but I have a lot of frozen because it is convenient but also they reckon it's probably got more of the nutrients intact than something that's sat in your fridge for a few days.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I buy a lot of frozen veg and do not find it inferior in any way. The things that I do like fresh are things like cabbage, broccoli and cauliflower. Also saves on all that preparation and wastage and nothing goes towards it being near its sell by date. )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I stick to old habits by buying fresh cauli - but it would sit in the fridge far too long for just me, so I cook several portions at a time and freeze some. Probably would be better to buy it frozen.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

I beleive frozen veg is even better , my friend lived in Lowestoft , their garden was almost backed onto the birdie eyes massive pea field, The very noisy machines that picked the pods would set off any time day or night when the crop was ready so the peas could be picked and frozen to lock in the freshness
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Alldis frozenot sweetcorn kernels are the nicest I've had from any where I often just defrost them and eat them raw they are so tender and sweet, the garden peas are too and I eat them raw aswell )like(
Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I've found some really nice whole French green beans in Heron freezer shop. Two bags for £1.50, they are lovely. Only light steaming required, or just defrost and put them in a salad.
)eat(

Ilona
antimuss
Learner Laner

Post by antimuss »

We buy frozen vegs only in some occasions but freeze a lot at home. Firstly it was just to save surplus of grown crops. Now it is tradition at home and huge savings! In the beginning there was a problem to keep them properly unless we have found very good containers for keeping like fresh for a long time. Vegs remain colorful and smell of spring after defrosting.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

You don't need to buy containers to keep frozen food fresh for a long time. Anything you already have will do. I use margarine tubs, cottage cheese pots, bread bags, coleslaw pots, in fact any food you buy which comes in a pot. Just wash and reuse those.

Ilona
wendy

Post by wendy »

)like(
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning