Kevin the carrot

Special offers etc. you've come across out & about or online
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Kevin the carrot

Post by Spreckly »

Mods - didn't know where else to put this.

At 8am this morning we wondered why the Aldi queue was so long! We soon found out. They were selling (£19.99), these gigantic soft toy carrots for the kids. So many Mums and kids there, laden with Kevin, several small versions for the Christmas tree, and parsnip decorations.

Dear oh dear! One woman spent over seventy pounds on carrots and parsnip decorations.

I do feel that consumerism has gone off the page, and the children, who were lugging these Kevins around are being conned. Another year the must have will be something else.

What a waste of resources, and it grieves me when I watch the adds for kids without the basic necessities in life.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Kevin the carrot

Post by lancashire lass »

... but that's what "Christmas" is all about courtesy of advertising and consumerism ... it's what ropes people in to spend money that they don't always have though I can't comment in this case.

Have to say I've heard of toy fads but carrots & parsnips are a new one on me {rofwl} - okay, so it advertises Aldi but at least the toys are "cuddly" and not promoting violence. The price of toys in general just astound me - perhaps these are more affordable? And maybe encourage more children to eat their vegetables (perhaps we need a cuddly "Bruce" the brussel sprout ...)?
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Bruce the cuddly brussel sprout, LL. Now that I would love to see, maybe a business in there somewhere, what do you think?
I do like watching the Kevin advert though and as LL says, Spreckly not promoting violence has got to be a good start. Like you though I feel for the families that do not have much cash to splash.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I agree about consumerism 'growth' is suppose to be good (not medically though). Just more stuff to throw away.
MQ there is already a book [url]The smelly sprout[/url]
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Dorrens daughter
Lively Laner

Post by Dorrens daughter »

I'll make my own carrot and parsnip toys just give me a couple of bags of each and a felt tip pen. {rofwl}
Dorrens daughter
Lively Laner

And when you get fed up of them you can, boil, grate or turn them into soup.
Dorrens daughter
Lively Laner

Oh and the peels can go into the compost to be used to feed next years crop of Kevins.
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

A lot of those Kevins will be going on Ebay to take advantage of the people who didn't get there in time!

I don't see the apeel either (see what I did there :P )
bikesandbirdsbob
Legendary Laner

Post by bikesandbirdsbob »

I just like to say that if it was not for Xmas I could not wear my Bah Humbug hat and look grumpy .
Best time of the year for us grumpy old men and ladies (PC again ).
Happy holiday HO Ho Ho ,Bah humbug....

Bob