Plenty of cheap veg about

Special offers etc. you've come across out & about or online
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Plenty of cheap veg about

Post by Meanqueen »

Most of the supermarkets are selling cheap veg at the moment, to get people into the store. Anything from 19p to 30p. I got these from the BIG supermarket.

29p each. There are big bags of potatoes and carrots as well. Stock up now while they are cheap. Anyone else found any?

ilona
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Plenty of cheap veg about

Post by lancashire lass »

)like( I think they did that last Christmas (no doubt something else in the supermarket will have gone up in price so it doesn't affect their profits ....)
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

I got Cauliflowers for 29p in Tesco this morning. In Aldi I got Sprouts & Parsnips for 19p (500g). Red Cabbage & Swede for 28p. Not sure if you are aware but Aldi now reduce their fresh produce that is going out of date that day first thing in the morning & by 50% sraight away so this morning I was lucky enough to pick up 4 British whole Chickens (medium size) for a total of £4.83! I would have had more as there were at least a dozen but haven't got room in my freezers!!! Well happy!!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Co-op are also advertising their veg prices. 49p /lb on 6 sorts.
I'm fussy about chicken, much as I enjoy it I never eat it from buffets as it probably is factory farmed which is horrible. Same with pork, I don't trust any other than British (yes I know EU have now brought in regulations that our farmers had to comply with years ago, but they don't seem too good at enforcing them. Hard to tell though, when asking about food in a pub, if they are just saying what yoou want to hear.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I have had some good bargains with veg and meat over the last few weeks, but like others no room in the freezers now.
I went in a large supermarket and just could not believe what I was seeing. The butchery dept had a large wooden chopping island and the man had a revolting cloth in his hands, looked like a dishcloth. He proceeded to wipe the meat which was a leg of lamb with the cloth, pick the meat up and then wipe the wooden block putting the meat back on it!!! If this is what they do in front of their customers I dread to think what goes on behind the scenes.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Gwenoakes wrote:If this is what they do in front of their customers I dread to think what goes on behind the scenes.

It reminds me of when my work colleagues & I went to a local restaurant (part of a well known chain) for a celebratory lunch. As we waited for the lunch, we all moved to the salad bar and they had run out of plates. We told a staff member and next minute a pile appeared but they were clearly dirty and had never seen any sign of water never mind soap. So we had to point it out again about the plates. I already had a (supposed clean) plate so was still at the salad bar when the kitchen hand took a dish cloth off his belt and proceeded to wipe the dirty plates still at the counter and put them in the pile ready for customers to use ... My thought was, if this is what they think is okay in the restaurant, what goes on in the kitchen?

I had to pop into Tescos early this morning for a mini (micro) shop (no time to do a proper shop) on my way to work but I did notice the veg stalls were well stocked up and there were loads of staff also packing the chiller units (to the point of being annoyingly in the way) Traditionally I used to go very early on Christmas eve for the last bits like fresh veg, milk and bread but I have noticed in recent years that the shelves are often completely bare after the overnight shoppers and the supermarket is waiting for the new supplies to be delivered. Makes you wonder how much food people actually buy for that one day of the year that they don't seem to buy during the rest of the year - even if they are catering for visiting families, somewhere there is a family that is not having their Christmas at home so it should balance out.