Compostable Food Bags

Special offers etc. you've come across out & about or online
kitla
Legendary Laner

Compostable Food Bags

Post by kitla »

Here's a money saver for anyone who's rubbish collection includes a food waste caddy. Ours takes 20ltr bags & the compostable ones at supermarkets are around £2.60 for 10! Literally throwing money away. I cant find them much cheaper online either. However in Aldi & Co-op they have carrier bags made of the same compostable plastic for 10p each, so we've bought a load of those. £££.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Re: Compostable Food Bags

Post by Spreckly »

I don't use my food caddy for waste food! When I have a fire, I chuck any food onto it. However, our Council provides food bags for free, and I use these.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

we don't have waste food collection in my area. I'm surprised that it has to be put into bags but I suppose it depends on how it is collected and also means less cleaning of the caddy.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

I am puzzled by 'waste food collection'. What exactly can you put in this?

We have a garden waste collection. I put potato peelings and uncooked veg scraps in this - in other words anything I would personally compost.
Michael
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Well, those of us brought up during rationing, and with parents struggling to make ands meet, clear our plates and use up the food in our fridges. Maybe not everyone does.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

our food waste caddies take everything from bones to veg peelings Remember not everyone has a compost heap, also when we have rat visitors I stop putting veg on the compost heap for a while. It all goes to a local Bio-converter place where it gets converted to energy & the waste liquid used as fertiliser on the fields. We dont have to use bags but its messy if we dont & the bags are compostable. I'm surprised all areas dont have this?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

The food bags provided by our Council are biodegradable, and go in the bin with garden waste.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

It seems every authority has a different way of doing things, we get a small plastic caddy for this but no bags.
--Immanuel Kant
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

The East Riding must be pushing the boat out, as we get both a caddy and bags!