Lots of Parsley

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Effie
Legendary Laner

Lots of Parsley

Post by Effie »

Hi, I wasn't sure what topic this counted as so I guessed 'vegetables'! Does anyone have any suggestions for how I can use/store a glut of parsley, please?

TIA
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Re: Lots of Parsley

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Chopping it ready to use, putting in ice cube trays , topping with water & then freezing works well. Once it's frozen, you can pop the ice cubes into bags and just use as needed.
You can also make and freeze pesto - there's a parsley pesto recipe here
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Someone I used to work with in my pharmacy collected empty little tablet pots. She told me if you put sprigs of herbs in separate little pots and freeze, you can just crush them while they are frozen, avoiding the need to chop or add water.
Haven't tried it myself, though.
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

I simple cut the sprigs of parsley, wash and drain on teatowel or kitchen roll and put into freezer bags, gently press out excess air and seal.
I do this for all my herbs. When you use them for cooking they taste like fresh herbs. )t'
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

I shake my herbs to make sure no bugs etc then pack them very hard into freezer bags or boxes. When you want some just use a sharp knife to cut off as much as you need from the chunk.This chops it fine, and no water makes them easier to cut.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Thanks for the no-water tip, that makes life much easier. I've always done it in ice cube trays & it's never crossed my mind to do anything else. :-D
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

The old fashioned way is to dry it. You can put your oven on the lowest possible heat and put the washed, patted dry parsley there and leave it for several hours e.g. overnight, and maybe turning it if there's a lot of it to get them dried evenly.
manda

Post by manda »

If you make the pest LBF suggested you switch the pine nuts for Sunflower seeds i fyou fancy a bit of a change (you can use them in other pesto's as well)... and it's the frugal version )grin2(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny