Picking strawberries

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Picking strawberries

Post by albertajune »

I have picked 6 1/2 lbs of strawberries this morning and had already made a couple of pots of jam previously. We do have a good sized plot of them but they are so prolific this year. As OH had a knee replacement last year, the allotment wasn't attended to as should have been so all the runners gave us more plants, more than needed. I just can't throw away and neighbours didn't want the bother of growing them when I offered the plants. I even offered tubs to grow them in.

The really ripe ones are in the fridge for eating but most have gone into the freezer for doing whatever with them. Of course when I brought them home, all around me were saying how they loved strawberries and aren't we lucky. I am a real meanie today and didn't give any of the fruit away as I usually do. )grin2(
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Picking strawberries

Post by Mo »

You had all the bother of picking them, if they didn't want to be bothered growing them you have every right to be 'little red hennish' about them.

I do pick loads of tree fruit and give it away. But if anyone wants any of my gooseberries they can pick their own.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Hi June I dont blame you either, it happens alot they couldn't be bothered when you were generous to offer them so tough for them )t'

Many years ago we went strawberry picking and we brought home many more than we could eat its addictive isnt it you just say I'll just get this lovely juicy one and before you know you,got another tub. :-D

Anyhow I froze some and later on I made it into wine only a couple of bottles but very potent stuff, we drunk it at youngest sons Christening, hes 30 now and it went down very well.
Infact my youngest sister sufferd for a few days delicateness and she hadnt had much she said {rofwl} Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I've never made wine from them Linda, but must have a go as I do make other types of wine. Last year I made strawberry vodka, just one bottle )hic( which was very nice.
I like to eat them fresh, but also love them in crumbles and for ice cream. )t'
Scrambled
Lively Laner

Post by Scrambled »

Ooh lucky you )t'

Do you like summer fruits pudding? That's a good one for using up a fair amount of strawberries )c+
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

Must be warmer where you are, our strawberries aren't ripe yet :-(
Michael
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

fabindia wrote:Must be warmer where you are, our strawberries aren't ripe yet :-(

It is warm down South, but I do have 3 different types of strawberries that fruit at different times. )t'
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

We've got loads of strawberries this year too. I was interested to read that you freeze them. I always thought they went mushy if you froze them or do you then use them for baking?
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

KathJ wrote:We've got loads of strawberries this year too. I was interested to read that you freeze them. I always thought they went mushy if you froze them or do you then use them for baking?

Frozen strawberries are mushy when frozen and defrosted and of course can still be eaten but better for other things. They are beautiful in crumbles and muffins. When putting into crumbles I like to add apples, pears or rhubarb. Also defrost and mix with cream for sandwiching together sponges and also make good quick ice cream. For ice cream, Put frozen berries of any sort in the blender if you have one, add double cream or a mix of cream and yoghurt, sweeten to taste and eat. A lovely treat.
I have bottled some and will make some jam with those already frozen. My job when I leave here is to take the greens stalk ends from another 3 punnets and into the freezer Just too many to eat.